Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib Compression - I Think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib Compression - I Think

I've heard that there is a process called Rib Compression? Which is where, when its time to wrap your ribs, you wrap 2 or 3 racks of ribs in the same bundle? I've been Q'ing for a long time but know nothing us this. I compete in the circuit and would like any info or feed back on this. Thanks, The Outdoor Guy

I was thinking of an answer but was distracted by your avatar.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh you’re a funny man, I felt a bit of a twitch myself

I've done it before and can't say I noticed a difference.....didnt call it "rib compression" though....more like: "crap I don't have much foil left"

Comment

I've heard someone talk about that before, maybe Harry Soo, maybe one of our other vide interviews. Don't know much myself though since I don't compete and I don't wrap ribs anymore, so I wouldn't know know anything other than speculation and that won't be of much help to you.

Comment

Well, as an engineer I can tell you that wrapping 2 or 3 slabs of ribs together won't provide any pressure to "compress" anything. What it WILL do is make a slab of ribs into a thicker hunk of meat, which will then take longer to cook and reach the desired internal temperature. The ribs on the middle of the bundle won't reach temp as fast as the ones on the outside of the bundle, and I think it will make for inconsistency in the slabs of ribs due to time/temp differences the bundled slabs experience.

While it would be an interesting experiment, I don't think I would do it, as I want each slab of ribs to come out consistently the same.

Comment

Hello Mr Outdoor Guy. I think you just might of been doing a little "rib compression" in that there picture of you with them Hooters girls!

Comment

Sounds like one of your board compitition brethren dreamt up a new way to do somethin somethin new to ribs.

Comment

I'll do a "squish" on both ends to make the meat hump up in the middle between bones. Could be compression???

Comment

Thanks guys, I was just seeing if I was missing something that I have never tried. The Hooter Girls were giving out the Trophy's if you took a walk at a comp I was doing. It was a good day, got my picture taken 4 times

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here