Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lbs of meat per person for events?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lbs of meat per person for events?

I’m an avid back yard ‘Q guy with some success. Now Im being asked to cook with a coworker for 50 people. He has gear and I have some as well. I’m thinking for cost and packing a bunch in the smoker that Boston butts and pulled pork is the answer.
    I know a bunch of you cater, etc. what do you recommend? How much uncooked lbs per person?
    I’ve never had to deal with these logistics.
    Cheers

What else are they eating?

Adults, children, mixed?

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t think they are eating adults and/or children. :-)

Amount per person depends on what else you are serving. Sides for instance, and are you planning on just butts, or maybe some chicken. The mix of people is also important. Men and teenagers eat the most followed by women, then kids.

Comment

As Jerod asked, it's important to know the age group of the 50 people you're serving. Typically, for adults, you can safely assume 1/2 lb per person of uncooked meat. You can also control the amount people eat. Using slider buns instead of regular size buns will keep the amount people eat down some. If the pork you're talking about making is the main dish. Plan to cook extra.

Comment

If you figure 1 lb of uncook meat person that will be 5 10lb butts and if you want to be on the safe side you can do six butts. You can always let the guest take home the leftovers or you can freeze it for later.

Comment

It’s going to be adults, predominantly male. Sides are going to made by others. A lb per person Boston butts was along the lines I was thinking, but I Am very new to this.

Comment

That should work just fine. I would cook 6 - 7 port butts. (8# average in our area) Have fun with it!

Comment

I usually smoke several different kinds of sausage cut them in single bite size pieces. Throw that on a tray with some cheese and crackers for a starter. Then figure 1/2 lb of main meats per person.
              We’ve done thick cut smoked bologna before and it was a huge hit!!

Comment

• jgreen
                jgreen commented
                Editing a comment
                I am coming to your next party. Sounds good.

• Dadof3Illinois
                Dadof3Illinois commented
                Editing a comment
                I look for ways to make it easy on myself while cooking for groups. I want to enjoy the company and mingle instead of getting stuck managing the cookers most of the night. So cooking the shoulder ahead of time and getting it in the cambro to finish makes life so much easier when guest arrive. Then I only have to worry about getting the starters off the smoker and sliced up.

So true about the 1lb pre cooked per person. For the kids, smoke so hot dogs. You also have to find out the sides. If they are having those, 1/4 to 1/2 lb per person.

Comment

SMOKIN D, It Will Make a Difference if You're Cooking For a 50 Man Crew of Ditch Diggers Lunch❓ The Ratio of Women and Children to Ditch Diggers or Accountants❓ I think a Case of Pork Butts at +- 60 Lbs would Be Your Most Economical Buy❗️ Trimmed an Dry Brined The Day Before and Rubbed 4 - 6 Hrs Before Smoking❗️ Schedule Your Cook So You Have 4 - 6 Hrs in the Faux Cambria Wrapped❗️ If Possible Have a Work Station Near The Buffet Line where You Can Pull the Butts One at a Time as Needed❗️ Have Several Platters, Foil to Cover, Gloves for Serving‼️ Have a Ball Your BBQ Will Be Legend👍👍👍👍👍❗️
                From A Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Smokin D
                  Smokin D commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very much appreciate your post. Thanks for the Info. Cheers

1 pound raw of pork will get you there, but no leftovers. All adult male's will skew on the heavy side.

Comment

I have written about this here https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...uch-cook-crowd

Comment

• Smokin D
                    Smokin D commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Appreciate you pointing out those articles. Your entire site is a treasure trove of BBQ knowledge and has helped and inspired me immensely. Cheers

IF they are HEALTHY Texans like me, a LB a person, otherwise, less. MEathead's guide is great for NORMAL folks.

Comment

It also depends on whether you're serving it or if it's a serve yourself buffet. People serving themselves will pile it on while you can exercise some portion control if you dish it up.

I use a six-ounce disher instead of tongs or spoons for people to serve themselves. Generally they see the pile they get with one scoop and move on.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here