Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baby Back help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby Back help

I’m 5 hours into a smoke at 225 in my pellet smoker. Guideline is 3-4 hours, outside temp is 35 deg. , ribs are 175 deg
    should I keep smokin’ till I hit 190-200? no surface cracks when I shake em yet...
    thanks! Click image for larger version  Name:	75FF75B0-CF69-4034-8977-89A31F0F29B0.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.91 MB ID:	432946

I'd keep on, watchin' temps frequently...
    They're lookin' right tasty, but not lookin' done, yet.

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, will do!

I would. Ribs are done when they are done. Looks like you may have possibly been cooking them shy of 225. Your temp probe is on the upper rack. What temp are you cooking at grate level? They look delicious none the less!

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      ok, I’ll do that. I had it there in the past but it seemed in the way, I’ll move it back

• lonnie mac
      lonnie mac commented
      Editing a comment
      Post final pics man. The color on these babies are making me starving!

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      ha ha, me to! 1.5 hours late, 2 more beers, I’m starvin’!

do ribs stall?

Comment

No ribs don’t stall, but I often wrap/crutch them in foil after 2 hours, to prevent drying them out. You’ve smoked them a long time, and also that probe position is way higher than the ribs, so lower grate temp could easily be 25 or more degrees less. Not sure what smoker you are using, or how accurate the controller is.

Comment

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        ok, just wrapped them, should be done soon. I’ll post a pic! Thanks

Agree with jf, wrapping will tenderize and keep them from drying out. They'll finish in a hurry now. Enjoy!

Comment

Keep cooking, you won’t hurt them. They look great. Dont be afraid to crank it up a little. Check temp in the thickest part you can find.

Comment

OK, wrapped em up after 6 hours, turned it up to 450, after 15 min, mopped half the rack and put back on grill, flipped every 5 min for 15 min....... ate ‘em’!
          taste and texture was excellent, could be a tad more moist so I think I will crutch/tent them next time at 2 hrs, keep experimenting!
          (the only ribs I’ve ever made were store bought “heat um up’ type, made St Loius last week and BBR’s today, OMG, verry happy with results!) Click image for larger version

Name:	B96B4421-4AAA-4967-A2FD-30CDFC529984.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	433137Click image for larger version

Name:	F3C224F5-1245-4391-AD96-158005D0EDCD.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	433138

Comment

That is beautiful! Cheers!

Comment

Looks great! Just reminded me that I was going to pull some baby backs from the freezer for later this week.

Comment

smokenoob if you are going to crutch, I recommend the 3-2-1 method for spare ribs (including Saint Louis cut) and 2-2-1 method for baby back ribs. Smoke at 225 to 250 for 3 hours with spare, 2 hours for baby backs, then wrap tightly in foil and put back on the smoker for 2 hours. Sometimes I splash some beer or apple juice on them in the foil. Finally, grill direct with medium heat for up to 1 hour, and add sauce if you want during this stage, in the last 10-15 minutes on the grill.

Last time I smoked ribs, due to being on errands around town, and not being back at the 2 hour mark, I ended up going a full 4 hours with my baby backs at 225, with no wrap, then finishing in the gas grill. They were good, but not quite as good as when I do the wrap. They were a little less tender and drier. I’ll keep using the Texas crutch on my ribs going forward, on the Weber with SnS or my offset. If I had a PBC I would probably just hang them the entire time.

Comment

I've never wrapped ribs. I'm going to gave to try it.

Comment

I go nekkid the whole cook, most often it's 5-7 hrs, depending on their weight (thickness), and that's usually 240ish. Always juicy with one exception recently. I like a good bark layer on mine though, with the tender juiciness underneath.

Comment

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That’s probably the main reason the 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 method ends with direct grilling - to firm back up the bark and add some char, after the 2 hour wrap. The ribs I didn’t wrap recently were liked by the family, but just not quite as good in my personal opinion.

• Frozen Smoke
                      Frozen Smoke commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I follow the same technique as Huskee I spritz probably 4 or 5 times during the cook with apple cider and cherry schnapps mix. Helps build a nice bark.

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Funny but used to do 3-2-1 but didn't like the soggy bark, even after finishing on the grill. Have gone to 4-1-1 instead and like the result better. I also have a sweet tooth and like the combo of butter/brown sugar/honey along with a little apple juice in the foil. Man my mouth is watering thinking about it.

Great to have all the ideas guys, thanks!

Comment

They look awesome!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here