Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First PBC cook - suggestions wanted...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First PBC cook - suggestions wanted...

I am planning my first PBC cook this weekend...I am between ribs and chicken...any thoughts or suggestions???

Spareribs (not baby backs). It'll be more satisfying.

Comment

Are you more comfortable with one of the meats over the other? with a new cooker I'd go with the item/recipe Im most familiar and comfortable with so that the only variable Im "worried" about is the new gizmo. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Ribs or chicken sound good to me. Just check out the PBC videos and read up in the PBC thread here and your good. Some folks seem to get all concerned about the lack of PBC temp control in the beginning. As long as you can monitor meat temp your going to produce good stuff. Have fun and............................................tak e pictures!

Comment

I think ribs will be most foolproof on the PBC. I’m partial to baby backs myself.

Comment

Got a PBJ for Christmas. Weather is keeping the inaugural run in a constant state of delay and i'm just chaffing at the bit to "git r done". Originally I wanted to do prime rib but that idea wasn't really feasible for the two of us. Then I ran through the list of duck, turkey, chicken, cornish hens, kebabs, flat iron steak, etc. My wife bought a slab of St. Louis style ribs yesterday. Nuff said! It's ribs.

Comment

Either one will work! Cheers!

Comment

I always start with a pork butt, hard to screw up! The PBC kills it with ribs, butts and chicken. Halve the birds as showed in the PBC videos, get the temp over 325 for at least 30 mins, and then cook to 160 in the breasts. Ribs are a bit trickier, keep the temp below 250 if you can, just a few chunks of wood if at all. I wrap em when I get the color right and finish cooking or hold in the oven. St. Louis spares or backs, best ribs ever. Good luck, you'll love your PBC!
                Attached Files

Comment

Since the PBC seems to run a bit hot the first few cooks, chicken might be good first cook - it can take the heat and should have crispy skin.

Comment

I'd do chicken for the first cook. The PBC does the best chicken I've ever made.

Comment

Another thing to consider is the PBC does impart a unique flavor profile to everything. So if you are set on your ribs / chicken / butts tasting a certain way pick a meat you won't mind changing up a bit and enjoy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here