Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reduce smoke flavor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reduce smoke flavor?

Long story short, I used the reverse sear method on a tri-tip last night and must not have paid attention to how much wood I used.

I'm blaming this oversight on the whiskey.

Anyway, I'd like to use the remaining roast in a chili, but I'd also like to somehow reduce the intensity of the smoke flavor. The tri-tip is a little on the tough side, so I was figuring a long braise would help, but I'm afraid that if I dump all the ingredients into a simmering pot for a few hours, I'll have a simmered pot of smoke by the time I'm finished.

Anyway to recover from this? Like simmering the roast in water for an hour or so, draining, then combining all the chili ingredients? Soaking perhaps (which seems really weird)?

Yep! Whiskey will do that. Cheers!

Comment

Trim the outside off the roast. That’s where the smoke is.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        Well most of it anyway.

Add plenty of beans to buffer it!

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, nothin like buffed meat.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL. I love you, Man!

This is off topic St Alfonso but do you have a "pancake breakfast"?

Comment

What Jon said. Save those pieces. Taste the chili, and if you think it can handle it add it back in.

Comment

Originally posted by bardsleyque View Post
          This is off topic St Alfonso but do you have a "pancake breakfast"?
          Hey neighbor (Shoreline resident).

Yes, and I'll bet YOU'RE the one who stole my margarine.

Comment

• bardsleyque
            bardsleyque commented
            Editing a comment
            well I might have abused a sausage patty...

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here