Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting cook today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting cook today

Ran home from work to start my brisket this morning. Temperature was 9 degrees. Turned on the smoker (Camp Chef PG24 pellet grill), the fan started but nothing else worked, and I got a sensor error message. After about 30 minutes of head scratching, I hit on the idea that the sensor might not work at that temp. I soaked a rag in hot water, and wrapped it around the sensor. Grill started right up, and after it warmed up a bit, I removed the rag. Viola! Threw the brisket on with one probe in each end from my new fireboard wireless thermometer. (best Christmas present ever), and learned something interesting. The thin end heated up faster obviously, but when it reached the stall, it slowed down to the point that the thick end caught up, and both ends were 160 degree when I crutched it. It shows here in the graph. Cool stuff!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20171230-180251 1.png Views:	1 Size:	81.3 KB ID:	431806Click image for larger version  Name:	20171230_172513.jpg Views:	2 Size:	3.72 MB ID:	431807

Nice! I agree, the fireboard is awesome.

Comment

Nice cook!

Cold does odd stuff to pellets rigs at times right?

Comment

• icyhawk
        icyhawk commented
        Editing a comment
        First time I've had an issue. I assume because the grill is thermostatically controlled, If the sensor isn't working, the auger would just run continuously, so it shuts down. Makes sense. I've never cooked in single digits before, but not surprised it was out of it's functional range. I've cooked a lot in the 20's with no problem.

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        If it gets real cold out try priming the fire pot manually with a big load then fire it. The pre load burning will warm things up a bit. I was in -11 last week and the auger froze up on me. I figured there was enough moisture in the pellets to lock it up. Priming gave it enough to get running. That’s just my theory

• icyhawk
        icyhawk commented
        Editing a comment
        Fortunately for me, 9 degrees is really cold for here. I actually thought auger at first, then I deciphered the error message. Good tip!

Happy eating!

Comment

Love me some graffs...grafts...crafts...whatever they are.

Comment

Wonderful story and excellent brisket!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

I have a fireboard and like it a lot just wondering how did the 9 degree weather affect the battery on the fireboard? So its hits me the fireboard was a Christmas gift so you haven't used it in warmer temps yet. if you noticed how much battery was left at the end of the cook? If not I understand Actually I'm not planing on moving to colder temps so not sure (other than just curiosity) why I'm asking lol

Comment

• icyhawk
                icyhawk commented
                Editing a comment
                This was the first time I used it without plugging it in, so I don't have a comparison, but it was about an 8 hour cook, and it used about 25% of the battery. Pretty good, I think.

• GadjetGriller
                GadjetGriller commented
                Editing a comment
                yes I would say that is pretty good!!

Very nice.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here