Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas Day Smoked Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Day Smoked Turkey

First smoked turkey on the WSM...dry salt brine 24 hours.....used Apple and Oak... 18 lbs....@ 300-325 degrees over 4.5 hours...came out really good. When I brought it in, my mother thought it was a fake prop. lol....
    Attached Files

Really nice looking. I can see why your mother said that!

Comment

I'm betting your Mother was pretty proud of you.

Comment

That's a great lookin' bird.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Beautiful turkey. The photo should go on next year's Xmas card, what with the seasonal background. But then everyone you send it to would want to come to your house for Xmas dinner.

Kathryn

Comment

That’s a beautiful looking bird.

Comment

WOW, congrats on the great looking bird.

Comment

Great looking bird. How did the skin turn out?

Comment

Excellent skin color on that bird! Looks good all around!

Comment

The bird is a beauty!

Comment

Fabulous!

Comment

shify I originally was super pleased with the skin as it was nice and crisp on the outside...for some reason when wed try to eat it, it was impossible to chew through....Im thinking it was overdone (even though I tented it with foil 2 hours in). So that was the only disappointment. The meat however was amazing....the white meat was the best Ive ever had surprisingly and I am not a white meat guy.

Thanks to the rest for the kind words....

Comment

• shify
                            shify commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I hear ya. Good, crispy, edible skin on smoked poultry is my white whale. No matter how good it looks, no matter how crispy it feels to the touch, I have not been able to get skin I want to eat when smoking. the only time the skin is good is chicken wings that I smoke and then finish over direct heat on a grill. Other chicken pieces or turkey... inedible skin, every time.

Perfect.

Comment

shify that is good to know about your results with poultry on the smoker as well. I have done some birds on my Weber rotisserie and that comes out phenomenal every time...I just cant get the smoker right. Cheers!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here