Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gonna try smokin' some fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gonna try smokin' some fish

A friend of mine went to the northwest this summer and caught ling, halibut, and salmon. It all shipped home frozen. We are going to get together and deep fry some fish for tacos and thought it would be fun to try our first fish smoke. Would there be any harm in throwing some of each in the same smoke and having a sampler? If not, any recommendations on some easy recipes for a noob? I see Meathead's Schmancy hot smoked salmon recipe in the book, may be to schmancy for my first fish smoke, don't know....

I do have some frogmat!

Any suggestions would be great!
    Thanks!

I'm not sure about ling, only had it a few times, but halibut and salmon are both meaty fish that both smoke very well. You should have zero issues with smoking all your fish at the same time. Your only challenge will be sample sizing and determining the right amount of smoke in each filet or chunk.

Comment

I have smoked Salmon and Bacon at the same time with no problem. You should be fine to smoke it all together Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160725_120323777.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	426929Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160725_120403828.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	426930

Comment

Smoking fish is a "piece of cake". Follow MH's hot smoked recipe and you'll be fine. Don't over brine and don't overcook! Think you will find halibut and lingcod to both be firm meaty white fleshed and end up quite similar. Enjoy!

Comment

• jlazar
          jlazar commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree.

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          Last week I smoked some salmon and for heck of it put a couple pieces of Tilapia in with it. Of course it was very thin so I only smoked it a sort time but it was ok.

Good to know! Thanks everyone!
        Will take pics and report back!

Comment

Yes! Smoked salmon and halibut is great! Go for it!

Comment

Prepped the salmon and halibut together with the Schmancy recipe. While I was smoking & drinking (sounds worse than it is!) I was googling. Found a U of Alaska site on smoking fish, it said the halibut would absorb salt brine quicker than salmon and one should go lighter on the halibut.....uh oh......
            I noticed the halibut coo ked about 10 degrees behind the salmon even though the salmon was thicker, something to remember for next time. As for taste, the salmon was superb, the halibut was awesome but a touch salty. Maybe I'm sensitive to salt since wife and I use little salt. Anyway, next time I would do the same on the salmon and go lighter on the halibut brine.
            cheers!

I had some leftover smoked salmon over cream cheese / bean-corn salsa / cracker today....YUM!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5275 (1).JPG
Views:	144
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	428223Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5270.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	428224

Comment

• TripleB
              TripleB commented
              Editing a comment
              Beautiful..... Thanks for sharing.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here