Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first ribs.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first ribs.....

Followed Last Meal Ribs Recipe yesterday on a slab of St. Louis ribs. Aside from a minor crisis on the pellet smoker and over-brined on my part, they came out pretty good, unfortunately not "last meal" worthy .

Both the wife and I thought the ribs were a touch salty so I went back through my notes and memory banks. I'm pretty sure I brined 1/2 tablespoon / lb total instead of 1/2 teaspoon / lb , I clarified my notes! Ribs weren't bad, just a touch salty.

The minor crisis hit four hours into the smoke, temp dropped to 100, thought I had a flameout but no indication was given on the smoker. Called customer service at Camp Chef, they were great. We went through pellets, chimney setting, cleaning the pot, etc. All seemed good. Then the smoker ramped to 325, customer service said it was probably a "pellet bridge" or gap in the pellets in the auger. I accepted that and carried on smoking, it went back down to 225. And, passed 225 to 100 again and back to 300! I'm freaking now cause don't want to ruin the ribs! Called customer service again and they said may be a bad control board and thermometer, just email a copy of my receipt and a description of what happened, they will send out a new control board and probe.

I finished the cook on the gas grill at 225 indirect, they were "pretty good"

Click image for larger version  Name:	stlouisribs.JPG Views:	1 Size:	162.4 KB ID:	426319

Did you use Morton Kosher salt?

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      yes, I do. That's correct right?

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes.

yeah morton kosher is right

and the salt/lb ratio isn't exactly the same with ribs anyway, since you have to account for the bones. so technically ribs would be less than 1/2 tsp/lb because you don't worry about salting the bones

they look good though!

Comment

Quite honestly I probably exceed the Meathead 1/2 tsp/lb limit on a regular basis . I'm pretty liberal with my dry brining, I love the results. And I do use Morton Kosher (I know what Steve R. is getting at, table salt or Diamond brand give different results). I never seem to have an over salted result.

As to the Camp Chef, that's too bad. The problem with pellet poopers is they work great until they break, or the power goes out, or the auger jambs, or there's a flame-out, or the controller burns up, or whatever. Regardless I love mine

Comment

• DeusDingo
        DeusDingo commented
        Editing a comment
        it's all personal taste and general guidelines. i probably put more than the recommended salt on as well for ribs

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        Camp Chef responded to my email within hours and are FED EXing control board and temp probe, they seem very customer oriented!

Do ya'll wash the brine off before dry rubbin' the Memphis Dust on?

Comment

No rinsing off of salt should be needed. But if you used the right amount of salt this should not be needed. Note that the type of salt is important too. Use no more than 1/2 TEASPOON of Kosher salt, or 1/4 teaspoon of table salt, per pound. If you really did use tablespoons instead, those ribs were drastically over salted.

I am not convinced that ribs need an extended dry brining like other cuts of meat may benefit from. The meat is so thin to start with that an overnight dry brine should not be necessary.

Comment

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks, I just did a 2 hour brine

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        I often just salt them, rub them and throw them on the smoker. I've done overnight with the salt and the rub in the fridge, can't say I noticed much difference, really. Ribs are pretty forgiving, if you ask me.

Beautiful!

Comment

looking great!

Comment

They look very good.

Comment

Depending on the ribs, they may have been "pre-brined"...most of the ribs at my local groceries and at Wally World have salt already --

For future batches, you might cut a rack in half...use no salt on one-half and 1/4 tsp/pound of Morton Kosher salt on the other half. This gives you something to compare your previous batch to. Then, once you've found the sweet-spot for brining, stick with the same supplier for a while as you perfect your cook!

They look wonderful!

Comment

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              That's a great idea, thanks! I got them from a butcher, I'll ask him to!

Very nice looking ribs! Camp Chef is very well known for outstanding customer service I don't hesitate buying anything from them.

Comment

They do look outstanding!

Comment

Thanks guys! Well, from all the positive feedback, I know what they should look like! Hopefully a minor brine tweek will make them "Last Meal" worthy!

Comment

Hey they look pretty good! Keep on chugging along and post more of your cooks

Comment

Good Cook, nice save. I usually just sprinkle salt evenly on ribs, similar to what you would find on a soft pretzel. I used to measure by 1/2 tsp. and it seemed too heavy.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I don't know how much I usually use, either, I just sprinkle 'till they're nicely coated. It is probably a bit more than ½ tsp per pound, but my family loves 'em, so I stick with what works!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here