Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IS Sous Vide over kill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IS Sous Vide over kill?

I'm always looking for a new subject to do a video on. Lubbock has come into the 20th century!! (yes I know its the 21st Century but Lubbock hasn't come that far lol) Last Month I came across Duck at the local super market that was new now this month the local supermarket actually has CAB (certified Angus Beef) bone in Rib roasts!! there is never Bone in anything (ok ribs but... oh never mind) so I got me a 5 pound hunk of bone in goodness. So I come home I'm gonna do a video about....When I find that everybody is doing Video's on Bone in Rib roasts!?!? (Even Baby Back Maniac! no reason to try now he has knocked it out of the park like usual) Then I notice that no one is doing it Sous Vide or more exactly to the point Sous Vide Que. So I'm thinking Sous Vide for 6 hours @ 130F then shock it rub it let it sit overnight in the fridge then Smoke it at 225ish until it hits (internally of course) 125F then either sear it over the off set fir box or in an 400 degree oven until 135ish then let it cool a bit and serve! so my question is. IS Sous vide redundant is it over kill I could do the regular way but everybody has done it that way (LOL yeah most likely cause it works!) Meat should stay moist and tender with just a hint of smoke. I'll eat it how ever it comes out but could doing both Sous Vide and smoking hurt the integrity of the meat?? Would just like your thoughts (try to keep them civil lol)

I think you should do it, and tell us what YOU think. If it works for you, that is all the better. ​

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Spinaker! Whats the worst that could happen lol (I'd still eat it!! LOL)

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd give it a try, for sure. Worst thing, maybe the meat gets a little mushy. But that's a pretty big piece of meat and I wouldn't expect it at 6H. Go to 131 setting for insurance.

I don't think Sous Vide is overkill at all. If you want a hunk of meat cooked to a perfect internal temp that might be the way to go. The only knock I have on Sous Vide is the texture of the meat. I have done perfectly cooked ribeyes with sous vide but I prefer all the way on the grill because I think the texture of the meat is better that way, but then that may just be what I am used to so who is to say that if I cooked more of them Sous Vide that I would not get used to that, if that makes any sense. Sous Vide is interesting to say the least but since I got my Kamado Joe all of my meat turns out moist, juicy and tender so I have not used Sous Vide since getting it. Something I plan on trying is SV combined with the KJ to see if there is any improvement over just the KJ. I have done a few boston butts with SV then on my Lang to finish with some smoke and they turned out great and I did not notice any difference in the texture of the meat when I did them that way versus all the way on the smoker, and the SV seemed to amp up the flavor also so it was a win win. Hope this helps, I like SV enough that I won't be getting rid of them any time soon.
    Last edited by vandy; December 25, 2017, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Great response. Thankmyou

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks vandy what you said is what I was wondering ("SV seemed to amp up the flavor") thanks for the response!

DO IT!! MY opinion is the meat is already tender. I wouldn't go longer. I would not do the 400° oven, IMHO you should go cast iron Sear or live fire no lid.

the lid was on once in the bath, we only want color and some temp. The outside is our focus for the finish.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok HouseHomey that gives me an idea! cast iron pan on the off set fire?? (ok maybe if i can find them I'll do it on off set grates! )

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd consider the smoking phase optional, but that's a personal preference.

Agree with EdF, 131 F for safety reasons. Should end up with a perfect temp roast with barely any (if any) overcooked gradient by doing sous vide. Have you checked chef steps or serious eats for any recs/recipes? Looking forward to your results!

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I have and they say to cook around 135 to 137 so I decided to use 135 as my water temp. Im doing a video so since my channel is called "GadjetGriller" I feel like i need to use the smoker lol

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, I would definitely use the grill or smoker to crust that baby up afterwards.

Here is the results of my "Sous Vide Que" Rib Roast (sorry) here is the link to the YouTube Video

Comment

• kmhfive
      kmhfive commented
      Editing a comment
      Wonderful result! I hope mine turns out almost that good!!

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      kmhfive if I didn't mess it up (usually I do lol) that means you got this easy!!

Great results and great video man! Love it. I am always looking for more content for my channel too. Have to get back into the video groove!

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      I envy you! your channel is much more diverse than mine! Kind of painted myself into a corner lol

• lonnie mac
      lonnie mac commented
      Editing a comment
      I love your channel brother! Subd!

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes sir lonnie mac I saw the alert!! Thank you sir

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here