Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Shrimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Shrimp

Went to a wine pairing recently and the first course was smoked shrimp tacos. The shrimp were very good and I'd like to try some. Available shrimp here in Atlantic Canada sucks (Not from the US Gulf Coast or Edisto Beac but farm raised Tiger shrimp and very dry). Anybody ever smoke shrimp? Technique? Suggestions?

Never did. They dry out so fast. Quick sear or quick fry or quick boil.

Comment

Yes. Add them to a big pot in a veggie steamer. add in bay leaves and a splash of water, steam until smoke rolls and smoke until pink.

Comment

Would a cold smoke work?

Comment

Dunno, I utilize same method texastweeter does, i.e., water...plus I often add Cajun or Ol' Bay seasonin..sry fer bein' no real help...
          BTW, Welcome to Th' Pit, Howdy from Kansas Territory, neighbor!

Comment

Any access there to (Gulf of) Maine shrimp? Generally that would be Jan/Feb. Very fine!

Comment

I've done it several times. Rinse shrimp under cold water and pat dry. You can add a little seasoning of your choice if you wish but I generally do not. I usually do this after I have been smoking something else that is already done and resting and the smoker is cooling down and is running at 200 or less. I skewer the shrimp on wooden skewers and throw them in the smoker. You need to keep a close eye especially at first. Flip often. After a few minutes they start to turn opaque in color I glaze them. A very good glaze or sauce for this is Tobago Keys Peruvian Gold.
              The glaze gives the shrimp a little protection from the heat. I'm not adding any wood at this point of course so the heat is still declining in temp.
              After a couple minutes flip and glaze the other side. A couple more minutes and the glaze is set up and you're ready to enjoy some smoked shrimp candy!

P.S. I have been known to spritz the shrimp before the glaze goes on sometimes especially if the smoker is running a little hotter.

Comment

Originally posted by texastweeter View Post
                Yes. Add them to a big pot in a veggie steamer. add in bay leaves and a splash of water, steam until smoke rolls and smoke until pink.
                put them in the basket but just enough water to steam a little? Peeled first obviously. What temp would I smoke at? Any idea on time?

Comment

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I put them over a grill on high, once the water runs out, the bay leaves smoke. I watch them until done.

Originally posted by Mr. Bones View Post
                Dunno, I utilize same method texastweeter does, i.e., water...plus I often add Cajun or Ol' Bay seasonin..sry fer bein' no real help...
                BTW, Welcome to Th' Pit, Howdy from Kansas Territory, neighbor!
                Sent some time at Wolf Creek many moons ago. Flattest place I've ever seen and you could kill someone with those orange things that grow on those scraggly trees.

Comment

Originally posted by EdF View Post
                  Any access there to (Gulf of) Maine shrimp? Generally that would be Jan/Feb. Very fine!
                  Never had them before but the St Stephen/Calais border is about an hour away. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They're small, but delicious. You should look up specific recipes for Maine shrimp, because they need a bit different treatment (fast).
                    Last edited by EdF; December 17, 2017, 06:19 PM.

I will check it out EdF. Thanks for the tip. Is this a great place or what?

Comment

Damn! Maybe next year? https://bangordailynews.com/2017/11/...-another-year/

Comment

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sad thing, that. Lots of tangled-up issues involved.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here