Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rub vs. Sprinkle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rub vs. Sprinkle

Someone sent me a link to a TV show where the chef says rubs are not for rubbing, but for sprinkling. He says he doesn't rub, especially for smoking, because it fills the meat's pores and moisture that forms the bark can't get out. That doesn't sound right to me. What do you all think, myth to be busted? Or truth to be followed? Here's a link to the show, the conversation about rubs starts at about the 1 minute mark: http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/rec...ket-carla-hall

The show is on ABC. That should tell you something.

Comment

I just find myself sprinkling and patting rather than rubbing. Probably thought about it some time a ago that I've forgotten, and kept the habit.

Could also just be an extension of how I handle salt and pepper.

Comment

From Meathead's article "The Science of Rubs."

Herb & spice rubs and blends are a great way to bring major flavor to food. But there is a science and art to making and using them.

Applying a rub

To prevent contaminating your rub with uncooked meat juices, spoon out the proper amount before you start and seal the bottle for future use. Keep your powder dry.

There is a popular myth that you should not rub a rub, that you should sprinkle it on because rubbing it in cuts the surface and juices will run out.

Humbug. There is a reason they are called cuts of meat. Meat is muscle that has been cut to remove it from the bones, fat, and other muscles. The surface has already been in a knife fight and there are gazillions of muscle fibers that have been sliced open. There are also bazillions of microscopic ridges, valleys, cracks, crevices, pits, pockmarks, and pores in the surface. The surface is far from smooth. Rubbing a rub into the surface can't hurt it one bit. It is not going to lose any more juice than if you just sprinkle it on. And rubbing might just help the meat hold onto the rub better.

To prevent cross-contamination, one hand sprinkles on the rub and the other hand does the rubbing. Don't put the hand that is rubbing into the powder.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          If you have measured out the proper amount it shouldn't matter if you put the hand that is rubbing in the powder as you are going to use it all anyway.

• jlazar
          jlazar commented
          Editing a comment
          Just quoting Meathead.

I have done rub both ways (sprinkle and rub) and can’t tell no difference in the bark.

Comment

My non-scientific opinion, FWIW, is that given proper thermal motivation, moisture will find its way out...
          I have no dog in this fight.
          I liberally coat, then pat well, as EdF said previous, but fail to see how smearin' it all about, some, would spoil a cook.
          Physics, like gravity, are not jus' "Good Ideas"...
          They're The Law.

Ya' May Fire When Yer Ready, Gridley...

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Are you poke'en? Crack me up!!

For a dry rub I usually just sprinkle on and pat if if not sticking. For a paste I would rub it in. Seems to work for me.

Comment

To much rubbing leads to.........to much rub on the hands. I sprinkle and pat if necessary.

Comment

Sprinkle and pat. Rubbing for me leads to inconsistent build ups and inconsistent pockets of taste.

And as HawkerXP alluded to, too much crap on yo gloves.

Comment

Typically, I will sprinkle it on. One the sides I rub the spices in to make sure they adhere.

Comment

I've heard this before and seen it discussed in other forums. My response is the same as it was the first time I heard this. A better example of over thinking something I could not find.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think a bunch of us agree on that.

I sprinkle it on and then pat and even kind of press in into the meat. I'll then use the sides of the meat (butt) to clean up what was left in the pan that I'm using for this process. But I really don't think it matters a great deal how you do it. I just try to get an even coating.

Comment

All,I know is there is something satisfying the OCD and CRS when in one fell swoop you evenly shake the MMD out of your container in a curtain wall of flavor on to your SLC ribs and watch as the rub sinks into the meat of your cut. Absorbing all of the flavor. Just saying.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here