Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carnitas... my way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks delicious.

Comment

Oh man I just checked in, and WOW this looks beautiful. Great job my brother!!!!

Comment

Well guys seriously thanks for the encouragement. Ok, as far as the rub goes, lets think of what the flavors in a more traditional recipe for carnitas would be. Believe it or not, coke, 7up, oranges and or orange juice not to mention all the other typical seasonings in many different combinations. Cumin, oregano, chile powder, powders, i use 3. And many others. Remember I do not braise my carnitas but prepare them more like pulled pork, so for the orange flavor, I use orange zest in my rub. It's subtle but thats how I like most of my seasonings. A potato has great flavor all on it's own if we don't cover it up with with stuff. So, yes, tasting the meat, "pork" is important to me. For the trim, I get my meat from a wholesaler and they send me trim whenever i order it. Your local butcher should be able to help you if you ask them for pork trim. Im using 3-4 lbs of trim on two butts.
        Check out the photo showing that drippings from the sheet pan going into the bowl with the meat and seasonings. All the fat from the cook goes in and helps make the carnitas crispy at service.
        Oven temps are low 225. Put em in the oven around 4:30 pm, take em out the next morning between 4-6am.

Comment

Is there anybody out there>?

Comment

Looks good, and I like the orange zest idea. I have done pork butts in a roaster before with similar ingredients. My wife and her 5 siblings, all from Mexico, love it. They say they don't miss the fried version.

Comment

The technic is solid and easily repeatable. Probably the most important aspect of food service business. Thanks for the comments.

Comment

Very Nice!! I love me some Carnitas.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here