Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket: Nothing went as advertised!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you to all for such excellent and timely feedback... it has been educational and helped me with my confidence. I ended up with about a 6 hour hold and it was 147 when I opened the cambro, so just about perfect for serving. I've included some pics. Turns out all you all were correct: It cooked the right amount, the hold did not hurt it, and crutching late in the cook was just fine! I had many compliments from the family, but the best one was the silence that came over the group when they started eating... and only left 2 quart size ziplocks to take home! I'll be making the time adjustment to the start and serving again on Christmas Day. I don't think I'll separate the point and flat... all the fat in between rendered and I scraped out what was left when I trimmed, so it was just wonderful. I can't wait to smoke the next one... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6747.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	215.6 KB
ID:	422795Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6751.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	422796Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6754.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	422798Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6755.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	422794
    Attached Files

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks outstanding! It's all about being confident that you are smarter than a dead cow.

• kmhfive
      kmhfive commented
      Editing a comment
      Wonderful!

Looks good

Comment

Awesome job on the brisket. Looks like you nailed it.

You're process and set up was very similar to my experience. I did my first brisket (Costco prime) on a relatively new Rec Tec 680 back in October and will be doing my second one next week. Mine took a total of ~15.5 hours, but I had it on 180° overnight to cook a bit slower. Like you may have been, I was a bit anxious, but it turned out great.

You asked about trimming- I watched Aaron Franklin's brisket trimming videos (here and here) a few times before I did mine. Main trim change I will try different next time is that I will trim the fat a bit closer. Will also try to wrap a bit later in the cook (~170°?) to get a bit crunchier bark.

Here's the cooking log to give you an idea of the temperature profile...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 1.08.06 PM.png
Views:	37
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	422829

Comment

Looks like a darn tasty brisky Techmaster ! Sometimes we worry when there's no need to and everything turns out just fine anyhow.
        It's always a good thing when you can't wait until you do your next one!

Comment

Nice, that looks excellent. Remember, no two briskets are the same, but now that you have one under your belt you know the basics and can adjust as you go.

Comment

OK, I have to ask. Is there a reason to crutch other then to speed things up? I would like the cook to take longer so I don't have to get up at midnight or 1 in the morning to put it on. I will be cooking a 10# flat in my BGE and hope for at least a 14 hour cook. Is that unreasonable?

Comment

Kevin Fuess , That's a really long cook for a flat. All my cooks that size in my Kamado have been 8-10 hours without wrapping it/crutch @ 225. Flats only can be real finicky, they can dry out very quickly if cooked too long.

Comment

Wow! Guess I better rethink this. Maybe get up early instead of staying up late.
                Thanks.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here