Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket: Nothing went as advertised!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket: Nothing went as advertised!

I'm perplexed. I have read the Brisket 'book-length' post a dozen times. I have done the calculations. I made all the preparations. And it cooked way too fast, and then in 19 degree cold!!
    So... I'm asking for thoughts, feedback, comments. I have to do this again for Christmas dinner and I want it to be more predictable!
    I bought a whole packer at Costco. It was 17+ pounds, Prime Beef. about 6-7" thick at the point+Flat end. about 1.5" thick at the thin end.
    I have a RecTec 680. I set it at 225, using BBQ's Delight Pecan/Cherry mix. (outside temp: 19 degrees F). No wind.
    It was ready to cook in 20 mins.
    I trimed and salted the brisket Wed night at 8:PM. I let it sit in the fridge, with just loose foil on top of it, until Thursday at 8:PM. I then used the Big Bad Beef rub and put it on the RecTec at 8:40 PM Thursday night.
    It was 140 when I went to bed at 1:AM.
    My Maverick told me the smoker was at 219 - 225 all night, and I did not see it exceed 235.
    I figured it would hit the stall and be at maybe 160 by 9:AM when I awoke, but instead, it was at 185 at 9:AM! I immediately wrapped it in foil, tight, just like Meathead recommends, and put it back on.
    I had expected it to cook until around 2 or 3:PM, when I could put it in the Faux Chambro and serve it at 5:30 PM for our family get together.
    I had to pull it off at 11:30 AM(!) when it hit 205. It's in the Faux Chambro now, waiting anxiously for 5:30, but that makes it a 6 hour hold... and makes me really nervous (should I go get Kentucky Fried Chicken as a backup?).
    I did note that when I pulled it off, it was floppier than a dead salmon, and had a ton of wabba wabba to it, so that makes me a little hopeful.
    It's 2:15 PM, and currently at 178. (it went in at 205, 11:30 AM).
    Anyway... I'm worried and frustrated that my estimate of 18-20 hours turned into 11.5 hours and leaves me worrying if the long hold will ruin it.
    I welcome any feedback. Thanks!

Attached Files

I'm not a super expert with briskets, but my experience tells me that 12 hours, plus or minus, is about right. How did you arrive at 18-20 hours?

Comment

• Techmaster
      Techmaster commented
      Editing a comment
      I calculated that from Meathead's book article... but incorrectly, methinks! Thanks!

I'm with Willy, I average 12 hour cook time for brisket in my RecTec 680, I think you started a little too early. monitor the meat temperature, don't let it get below 140 until serving, my guess is it will be fine if wrapped tightly.

Comment

It's been said a thousand times, brisket is done when its done. If its 190 or 205, if its 10 hours at high heat or 18 hours at low and slow. Sounds like you undershot it this time. If you're nervous about the hold time you might want to consider putting it in the oven at 140* in a foil pan wrapped well with foil. A little of the brisket jus or even some beef stock might keep things from drying out. Good luck, let us know what happens.

Comment

I'm in the same boat here with a 9.5 lb Boston butt I smoked last night. I smoked an 8 pounder on Monday, and it took 14 hours in 70 degree weather. I needed the one tonight for a dinner party, and figured on 14 to 16 hours cook time. I put it on at 11PM last night, in below freezing weather, expecting to get done around 2-3PM. I was done and at 205F before noon, and pulled the meat and threw it in a crock pot on low/warm to hold until dinner. The bark is suffering in the crockpot, but nothing else I can do at this point. The larger butt cooked faster, even though I had to fight with the Weber + SnS to keep the temp in the 225 to 250 range.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Sous Vide, if you have a circulator. Hold at a good carving temp.

What am I missing? You put it on at 8:40pm and pulled it at 11:30am the next morning. That is almost 14 hours which is right around where you would expect it to land. and only 2 or so hours before you expected it to be done at 2pm which is reasonable, as well. Its better that it finishes earlier than still not tender when its dinner time.

Comment

My brisket cooks are usually 10hrs until cambro-ready, 2 hrs cambro, 12 hrs total. I've gone 14 total before on really big ones. You just started way too early IMO. There's a popular misconception out there that briskets take 2 weeks to cook. Give yourself 12-14hrs next time for anything 10lb-18lbs.

Comment

all excellent points. I guess it was about 14 hours... I mis calculated and did start a bit early, methinks. Sous Vide: I had not considered that! I have one.... could've held at 145 till ready to serve. Doh! Right now, though, in the cooler, it's at 167 (and it's 3:30 PM). I think it's going to be just right for carving at 140 around 5:30!
            I really appreciate all the feedback! I'd really like someone to comment on my trimming (the pics). First time... I'm not sure I left enough fat? Anyway... you guys are awesome. I'll post back and let you know how it eats! (and pics of finished ready to eat).

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Another 2 hours should be a snap, tightly wrapped as you sound to have it.

I've seen 15 hours on the smoker, but I am with Troutman it's done when it's done. The only thing a hold that long can hurt is the bark might get soggy. Of course you don't want it to drop into the danger zone, but barring that it will be fine. And as a few other people said, 8:40 pm is far too early for dinner the next day. Midnight would have been a better choice.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the trim. I would guess you maybe took a little meat off with the fat? No big deal. I like to get most of the fat off, it doesn't add anything.

Comment

My rule of thumb for brisket is 10 to 12 hours. I have had them done sooner and I've had them take longer. Sounds like you might be over thinking things a bit. We have all done that and it's easy to do. You can over research a subject and certain aspects become absolutes in your mind and you have certain expectations of times and temps.
                The only absolutes in BBQ is meat, fire and time together will = BBQ!

Your trim job looks fine to me. I like to leave a little less than a half inch of a fat cap on in most places. I have had a inch or more on some points and will trim off large slabs of fat. I will take those slabs of fat and lay them on top of the flat if the flat is on the thinner side to help keep it from drying out.

Comment

For briskets, I use the trimmed weight when trying to estimate what time I should put it on the pit. You bought a 16 lb brisket, but after trimming you were cooking more like a 13 or 14 lb brisket.

Comment

The advice you’ve gotten is sound. The trimming was excellent. I have held Brisket for 6-hours no issues. Just monitor the temps to keep it above 140F. Hope it tasted great!

Comment

9 am at 185? Then you wrapped. Sounds like you crutched it which speeds up the cook. That’s how I speed up my Cooking time. Since every cut of beef is different, times vary. I’ve noticed that at cold temps(like winter time compared to summer time) my meat cooks a lot faster. That is just part of knowing your cooker. When I crutch a brisket , it takes approx 4 hours off of my cook. Always keep a log book so you can browse back thru it when you do another start time, finish time, stall time air temp etc. that will give you future reference points with your cooker.

Comment

Techmaster , glad it all turned out ok. I agree with others that say you started too early. When a brisket heats up too fast on me, I usually just skip the wrap until closer to the end (to bring it along more slowly) and then plan on a long hold. Another thing you might try is separating the point and flat before cooking. It's not only faster, but more predictable in how long it will take. Plus you get a lot more bark and smoke ring.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here