Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lamb Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lamb Jerky

The other day I was at my local mega mart that begins with a C and ends with an O and saw boneless leg of lamb on special. It's been cool here in SoFla and I've been meaning to fire up the smoke. I got a leg and also a round roast for some jerky.

I've done beef jerky before and used Meathead's recipe with great success. Of course with some tweaks for personal preferences.

I found a lamb jerky recipe elsewhere that looked like Meathead's beef jerky recipe with a few differences. I used them both as starting points.

After smoking the beef for a couple hours, my MEB30 took a crap. I knew something was wrong when I was shocked every time I touched it while the element was heating. Had this problem before and a controller swap out fixed it. I now think the thing is toast but that's a different discussion.

Due to the MEB failure, I was not able to smoke the lamb. So I just put it right in the NESCO at a higher temp, around 145, in order to cook it properly. It was getting late so I finished it this morning.

Of course the beef jerky is spectacular. It always is.

The lamb jerky is exceptional too but a bit fatty. I trimmed all the cap but as most of you know it's a fatty kind of meat anyway and you can't get it all.

I'm almost not disappointed that the smoker took a crap prior to smoking the lamb. Actually I am! Nevertheless, I think the lamb holds its own flavor without the addition of smoke.

Jerky doesn't last long around my house so I'm not concerned with the spoilage factor of the lamb fat. It's in the fridge now and will be gone in less than 2 weeks...probably 1 week. I picked off most of the bigger chunks anyway and popped them down the gullet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here