Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami Fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami Fail

Okay, my sous vide aficionado friends, I have a dilemma. I cured a brisket in the recognized method then bagged and plopped it in the sous vide at 155 degrees. It's been hot tubbin' for 24 hours when I discovered that there was a small leak in the bag that allowed quite a bit of water in. I have since drained the water out through the aforementioned hole, but am now wondering if this is safe and how to proceed from here. Hoping it's not ruined, but salvageable. Advice?

You got a cured product and 155 degree water. If the water was clean I'd be fine. Chilling of a cured product is important for Clostridium perfringens, since cures, cure accelerators, salts, don't do anything for that microbe.

Comment

Thanks for the response Jerod Broussard . I planned on chilling it in the morning, then smoking it early afternoon. As far as the water is concerned, although somewhat inclined, I did not use water from either the pond nor the available mud puddles (that was just a joke!). There was an intrusion of water from the sous vide pot, all of which were 155 degrees. So, by your observation if I give it a good chill then a lovely bounce on the smoker all should be fine?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah. Good chill good times.

Maybe a little less salty, but the meat will be fine.

Comment

I remember doing that with a pork butt during a multi-butt cook. Dried it off and put it on the smoker. No problem.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Ed, it's on the smoker now.

Originally posted by EdF View Post
        ...a multi-butt cook...
        I may be weird but that made me chuckle! Sort of like a FaceBook group post where someone was cooking 2 butts & a chuckie.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          ;-)

Agreed, it may end up needing salt after cooking. I had this issue with one of my pastrami cooks, when I soaked it a bit long and removed too much of the salt (apparently). You should be perfectly fine.

Comment

It tasted more like corned beef than pastrami, but was quite good nonetheless. Thanks all for the advice and encouragement.

Comment

I had the exact same thing happen to a chuckie I was doing. The only problem I encountered was it seemed to draw a lot of moisture out of the meat and the resulting roast was dry, yet perfectly safe to eat. Since then I have gotten into the habit of double bagging my higher heat baths.

Click image for larger version

Name:	double_bagger_comic_6_by_lucky_sham.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	420441

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here