Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt wrapping experiemnt and final results...including before and after weights...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Butt wrapping experiemnt and final results...including before and after weights...

Cooked two pork butts yesterday...decided i wanted to wrap one and not wrap one to see which I like better...

Dry Brined night before...in the morning I used Chris Lilly's Injection and MMD...put them on the Weber and let it do its thing...spritzed with apple juice and cider vinegar mix a couple of times - if I opened the lid for another reason I would spritz, did not open the lid just to spritz...had to add coals and water a couple of time...after 5 hours flipped both while adding coals...

After almost 6 hours removed one and placed in foil pan with some apple juice and covered with foil and returned to smoker...

Wrapped one reached 205 first after 11 hours...the unwrapped reach 205 in 12 hours...

Temps were kept between 210 and 250ish...

I weighed both before and after to see how loss there was...

Butt # 1 - wrapped
    Start Weight - 7.625 lbs
    Cooked Weight - 5.187 lbs
    Pulled weight - 3.5 lbs
    Pulled weight was 46% of start weight

Butt # 2 - not wrapped
    Start - 7.625 lbs
    Cooked - 4.687 lbs
    Pulled weight - 3.937 lbs
    Pulled weight was 51 % of start weight

Overall
    Start weight - 15.312 lbs
    Pulled weight - 7.437 lbs
    Ended with 49% of start weight

After pulling and weighing the final results I mixed some of the drippings with apple juice and mixed that and some MMD in with the pulled meat...

Bark opinions - The unwrapped bark was crispier but had better texture and flavor...but the flavor difference was negligible but the texture was noticeable...

Overall, my best batch so far...My sister, who is a foodie and a brutally honest critic of my cooking, said it was awesome and she didn't eat any until today...

Now for the pictures...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0081.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	418587Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0083.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	418589

Name:	IMG_0084.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	418590Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0085.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	418591

Name:	IMG_0086.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	418588

LOVE the Side-By-Side Tests!!!

I've never wrapped a butt when cooking at home. On the trailer, we do pan butts when the bark is good and finish later in the pan. That works fine.

We've done some yield measurements, and it's around 50%.

Love that you could enjoy the better texture from the unwrapped one!

Comment

• clb239
      clb239 commented
      Editing a comment
      With that much loss it's good that the results taste so yummy....

Absolutely beautiful

Comment

Thanx for doing this - great info.

Comment

Looks awesome 👏. Great bark on both. Nice write up.

Comment

Great Cook!

Comment

Wowza that's some nice looking pork butts. I like the meteorite look, what did you use for the rub?

Comment

• clb239
              clb239 commented
              Editing a comment
              The rub was Meatheads Memphis Dust

Good job! Fun to hear the results too!

Comment

Those look marvelous!

Comment

Nice side-by-side comparison. Also like to see this with brisket. To me blowing through stall without having to crutch has always been my choice.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here