Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 zone cooking question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 zone cooking question

Here at AR I see 2 zone cooking is setup as heat on one side and meat on the other. Some other reading I have been doing suggests outside burners on and meat in the middle. What do you use and lessons learned? I have a four burner gas grill.

TIA

Seems like you gain a zone if you have all the heat to one side.

Comment

Anything indirect, so long as the meat isn’t directly over the heat source. And it depends on how hot the indirect you want. Perhaps you want it closer or farther away from the heat (not really much consideration as to which burners are on or off). Can’t mess it up.

Comment

I prefer the indirect method but again I have never try the two outside burner method.

Comment

I don't see the advantage of using two outside burners. Maybe no disadvantage either, of course. I have a four burner Genesis, and I often find that the single burner on the far left will give me what I need in the way of ~225 low-and-slow. It seems like it would be more trouble to have to balance two burners on opposite sides.

Now that I think of it, the only thing I ever use the burner on the right far is the burn off the gunk left over from the last cook.

Comment

I think the outside burners with the meat in the middle would prevent the need to turn the meat that is sometimes recommended to prevent one side from getting too dry. I haven’t found a real need for it though most of the time.

Comment

Depends on what temp you want. I have tried the two outside burners but it was not easy to get the temps low enough.

Comment

The two things that 2-zone does for you are: 1. Create a low-temperature, indirect heating area (like an oven but with smoke), and 2. Allow you to control the temperature for a consistent cook. I don’t cook with gas, but if you can control the temperature in the range you want with outside burners, then I don’t see an issue.

Comment

I have a six burner Weber Genesis gasser. Weber recommends indirect cooking using the two outside burners I suppose to give balanced heating in the cooking chamber. You also do the same when using the rotisserie.

Having said that, I’ve tried both the center zone as indirect and moving to one side. I find no appreciable difference between the two. To be honest I prefer to use one side to cook and fire up the other so one side is always available for the next cook.

All of that was by trial and error, I suggest you do the same. Know your cooker and master the tool.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here