Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you cook this??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would you cook this??

Saw this Ham at the local Super Market last night. Its not cooked just Slightly cured so it does have to be cooked before eating. That thing is huge Smoking it would take a long time me thinks like Sous Vide long lol. One big problem its the only one (at the Market there may be more at others IDK) Suggestions?? If its still there when I go back I think I'll get it what could go wrong Click image for larger version

Name:	curned porl.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	406696

Been a dang dang long time since I did one of these up, but they do smoke up beautiful! You have soak it. Probably 24-36 hours changing the water often. Gotta rid this beast of salt. Other than that, it smokes up like a fresh ham. I did one that was not soaked, and although most beautiful, it was hardly edible! If you go to the Smithfield web there you will find some soaking instructions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	135095_1709513214444_1604184_o.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	406703

Comment

• GadjetGriller
      GadjetGriller commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks lonnie mac ! I'm getting excited (which all but guarantees it will be gone) Love the picture by the way!! Looks awesome!!

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Jesus Lonnie... That picture. If you didn't have the ZZ-Top beard I would think you were the photographer for Betty Crocker! Cant wait till January/February for my next trip to the island to look you up!

• lonnie mac
      lonnie mac commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha yea brother, this was the one I did without soaking. Man that was 10 years ago. I learned a big lesson then!

texastweeter On AR? I'll go try to look it up thanks!

Comment

I like to have them sliced it for me so I can fry it in a CI skillet for breakfast.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll diffenutly try frying some if I get it!! Thanks DWCowles (hows that DJI Mavic doing?? I got me a Parrot bebop 2 to use as an overhead camera, hadn't made any videos to try it out yet though. )

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        Haven’t had much time to play with the DJI Mavic Pro. That Parrot Bebop 2 is a cool drone. Have you had it in the air yet?

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        A couple of times. My phone was old enough that it didnt really work right, so I upgraded phones (my old one was 4 years old it was time lol) the controls are diffirent from DJI so I'm still getting use to them but it is fun and the camera is rock steady!!

I deleted my response after seeing that you said UNCOOKED. That is actually even better! Here is what to do.

Wash the ham well, then soak for 36 hours changing the water every 4 hours or so. After the 36 hours are up, wash again with warm water and scrub with a brush to remove the pepper and mold (it's normal, and will not hurt you, just scub it off) Smoke it over hickory for about an hour low and slow at about 225. remove the ham and but in an aluminum foil hotel pan. Crank the smoker up to about 325. add in about 4 cups of chicken or pork broth, and seal the pan up with a double layer of foil, like you are crutching a brisket or butt. cook in smoker until about 150 degrees. then remove foil, drain liquid, and glaze with chris lilies apricot glaze (the recipe is here on this website) place the pan on the rack under the ham and the ham on the rack above. put the smoke to it again (I use hickory) and bring her up to about 160-165 internal re glazing every 15-20 minutes or so. let cool just like a but, and then slice and enjoy. I usually reduce the glaze down by about 1/3 and serve it as a sauce for the ham slices. The bone should be reserved for hoppin johns or hambone and sweet potato soup. the broth you drained can be used as the base to the injection on your next pork butt. I know it seems like a lot of work, but it will make you a friggin rockstar on Easter!

This sweet apricot glaze recipe is not only perfect for ham but is wonderful on many other pork cuts as well. Developed by one of the world's top pitmasters, Chris Lilly, this sauce is sure to be an instant hit with your family and guests.

Last edited by texastweeter; November 5, 2017, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        That's the kind of detail I was unsuccessfully trying to drag out of my brain. Perfect approach!

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        once you do it a few times, it comes easier than clubbing baby seals....

Dang texastweeter that sounds interesting and Good!! Now I hope its still there. Had to smoke a brisket today to make room in the fridge for it (the ham)

Comment

I did one like that for a lady I work with. It wasn't loaded down with salt so I was able to just smoke for a while then bring it in to the oven and kept coating with a glaze. I scored it precook.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
          GadjetGriller commented
          Editing a comment
          Finishing in the Oven sounds like a good idea (once you get some smoke onto it of course)

Don’t forget the red eye gravy to go with the country ham!

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          Amen to that! Never forget the Red Eye Gravy!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here