Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on using The Simon & Garfunkle spice blend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on using The Simon & Garfunkle spice blend

Hi,

I'm experimenting with many of the recipes and theories here. I've already made the Simon & Garfunkel spice and put it in mason jars. Now I'm curious on the best way to mix with liquid.

Do you all use water or oil?
    Also, is this something that you would mix ahead of time?
    Would you whisk it together, or use a blender?

Thank you for any advise you can lend.

Welcome to the pit! I don't think there is a wrong way to use it, make a paste or sprinkle it on. For chicken I rub the chicken with mayo and apply the S&G rub on top and under the skin and turns out fantastic.
    Last edited by Powersmoke_80; November 5, 2017, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Used as a rub I use just a little water to make it stick, but other ways are ok too. Mixing with liquid, is it your intention to use as a marinade?

Comment

Going to test it out on a whole chicken, might put some under the skin and on top.

Comment

Never made a marinade out of it, usually just wash the bird then sprinkle on liberally the dry spices.

Comment

I like to mix it with oil and make a paste. It is great as a dry rub on smoked wings. Especially is you fry them after the smoke!

Comment

I only use it as a dry rub, but I’m sure mice with liquid and used as a wet ru. Ofmarinsdecwould be fine, but I would keep it dry until you are ready to use it.

Comment

mix it into softened butter, and wrap in wax paper. roll it up and back into the fridge. when I don't use it as a rub it works great on corn, potatoes or under the skin of a turkey!

Comment

Hi folks,

So, I'm stuck on what to put on top of the Turkey skin. Do you think a paste made out of the S&G rub, or should I simply sprinkle in on?

Comment

• BourBonQ
                    BourBonQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Something that has worked well for me... light coating of canola oil then dry mix sprinkled on top. No problem getting nice brown, crispy skin. I put the bird into an oven preheated to 500F for 30 min, then finish at 325-350 until breast hits 160.

I would just put it on dry, or a bit of water before you start but not a paste. Anything oily will likely make it hard to get crispy skin.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here