Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Braising question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Braising question

So I watch a lot of food TV. I frequently see programs where some guy is braising a big piece of meat in the oven. It seems like more than half the time they rub the meat, then immediately pour a bunch of liquid onto it and wash it all off! Seems ridiculous. The only possible reason SWMBO and I can think of is that they are more or less measuring the rub according to the size of the cut. In other words, they don't care about getting it on the meat, but they want to use just enough that it would cover the meat if it was rubbed. What do you all think?

I think they’re full of hogwash. I imagine the one they do for the final presentation— the one that’s in the oven already when the show started was rubbed hours in advance to "dry brine" the meat (whether on purpose or not). Then for the demo meat they’re meeting a show timeline so they don’t show the delay.

Comment

In a braise method you generally season, Sear then braise. But I understand what you mean. That makes me crazy too. Often it's just so the seasoning gets into the braising liquid which be be used or skimmed, reduced and or thickened.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        But just as often, one expects the extra flavor to come from veggies braising along with meat. At least I do - don't spice it up much except for some particular effect I might be after. Always season though.

What kmhfive said is something else that I thought of, leaving out the part where it rests for a while. But we all know that only the salt is getting in anyway, so unless it is seared on as HouseHomey suggests, it isn't helping beyond brining anyway. I'm OK with it being in the braising liquid, but why not just mix it in?

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Could it be just sped up for TV time? "We can't just sit and wait 48 hours for the brine to take."

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        HawkerXP if it was just brine, sure. But it's rub.

When I cook a pot roast, I put the dry brined meat in the pan and sear it on the bottom. Then I add water and a packet of Lipton Beefy Onion Soup Mix. Whatever veggies I am using come next. So I don't bother putting the "rub" on the meat or the veggies. The mix mainly flavors the water and the veggies. If you let that water cook down a bit, it makes some great gravy.

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly, and I have no problem with that, but why put it on the meat? 5 minutes, 5 hours, 5 days, it isn't doing anything rubbed onto the meat if all you do is wash it off.

Makes no sense to me. When I braise I salt the protein, but I season the liquid.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here