Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paleo BBQ sauce recipe needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paleo BBQ sauce recipe needed.

I need help coming up with a Paleo friendly BBQ sauce.

skorepeo here’s what I would do, for what it’s worth

I would start by making your own tomato sauce so that you can avoid refined sugars and vegetable oils. This isn’t hard, just take a bunch of tomatoes, chop em up by hand or give em a few pulses in a blender or food processor. The more fine you chop/blend/process them the smoother the sauce will be. Cook the tomatoes in a sauce pan for 30-90 minutes at a simmer. The longer they simmer, the thicker the sauce, which also increases the sweet profile of the sauce. If you want to get fancy, first heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil in your saucepan, add 3-4 cloves of minced/pressed garlic and sauté until aromatic (3-4 minutes). Then add some oregano for about 1 minute. Then add your tomatoes to this. Now you have a nicely seasoned tomato sauce when you are done cooking it.

to the tomato sauce I would add the following ingredients to build your BBQ flavor profile

some onions sauteed until translucent.
    Some peppers, probably poblano or Anaheim, also sautéed a bit to release oils and flavor .... make sure you de seed them.
    Molasses
    apple cider vinegar
    Thai/Vietnamese fish sauce or Maggi seasoning for the savory without soy
    Honey
    kosher salt
    black pepper

Simmer all this together for 15 minutes, or so. Once it tastes right to you, run it through a colander to get the onion and pepper chunks out of it. Let it cool, then throw it in a jar. Should keep in the fridge for 2-3 months.

All I did was get rid of processed foods (like ketchup and tomato sauce), soy, and refined sugars from my normal BBQ sauce :-)

I used to eat pure paleo, but have transitioned to refrigerator hunter/gatherer ;-)
    Last edited by ecowper; October 28, 2017, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent! You could also consider throwing uncooked quartered onions with the skin on into the pan during the tomato sauce manufacture. And a little butter. Sweetens it right up. Remove them when it's cooked.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      You may want to concsase Ethel tomato first to remove the skin and such. I need to look up this paleo that you speak of. I am exclusively on the seefood diet.

• kmhfive
      kmhfive commented
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey ! I like your style -- see food, eat food! I gotta say, though, that I'm not as interested in the overly sweet foods as much anymore. I like a little hint in the bark on the meat, but prefer spicy to sweet.

Experiment with honey or agave to sweeten your sauce(s) a little if you can't live without the sauce!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here