Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Ribs or Beef Ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Ribs or Beef Ribs?

Have been using my Weber Kettle primarily for steaks and burgers, however would like to venture into the "realm of ribs"! Seeking advice from this knowledgeable group on the best approach for a novice; pork ribs such as baby backs or beef ribs such as short ribs? Thanks in advance.

I think either one is a winner. That said where I live pork is a bunch cheaper.

Thats is a big reason I would vote to start there. With baby backs. A good place to get comfy IMO

Not to mention they are really forgiving. 205° to 325° you can cook em.
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; October 21, 2017, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I agree with Jon Solberg . Until you get comfortable with temperature control and duration, the pork is cheaper.

Comment

• sblair1255
        sblair1255 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have to add I love beef ribs but usually the ones I have found look like the meat was surgically removed with a scalpel. I mean there is bone and a scrap or two. Experiment with the back and spare rib variety until you are happy with results then search for some decent beef ribs.

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        sblair1255 Those sound like back ribs not plate or chuck short ribs, which are usually quite meaty.

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        In the four bone racks, typically a wide strip of hard fat crosses diagonally across the last two. After trimming, those two are mostly shiners. The first two are usually very meaty! Have taken to smoking the first two, and trimming the meat off the bones on the second two for freezing and later use.

I love pork ribs, but beef ribs are even better. However, pork is easier on the wallet for learnin' a new cook.

Comment

Above are correct in that pork is usually cheaper than beef. On the other hand I prefer beef and it plate or chuck short ribs are also very forgiving! Pretty much "dealer's choice". Which do you prefer &/or which can you find easily? Relax& enjoy the cook!

Comment

pfft... beef ribs no questions asked... you can do beef back ribs or plate (short) ribs. like sex on a stick.

Comment

No wrong answer here. I prefer beef but love the pork as well.

Comment

I agree with above comments

Comment

Guess I'm going with the advice to experiment with the pork ribs as a novice, and graduate to the beef ribs later (albeit my experiment with the pork ribs this afternoon may delay that transition given their juiciness and flavor!!). Thanks all!!!

Comment

• kmhfive
                  kmhfive commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pictures or it didn’t happen!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here