Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salting Dilema Continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salting Dilema Continues

I've been struggling with the proper salting technique for NY strips for quite some time. As I'm sure all are aware, there are dozens of recommendation out there that can make this topic very confusing. I tried a new one yesterday; a 1 pound 1.5 inch NY strip was the subject. This new technique I found on the internet recommended covering (and I mean covering) the entire steak with kosher salt , refrigerating for 1 hour per inch of thickness, removing from fridge and rinsing off the excess salt, patting dry, and finally hitting the grill. The rationale for this technique was well supported and explained, however results were slightly disappointing. I used the reverse sear method and found the degree of doneness as acceptable, however a little too salty a taste and meat a little tough. As I mentioned, I've been going "round and round" with this topic and need additional guidance from the experts. Thanks in advance.

I like to dry brine earlier as it takes more time for the salt to penetrate. I use the amount recommended on the main site.

Comment

Yeah the method in the main site is fairly tried and true.... you can spend a lot of time and money chasing ghosts...

Comment

Got it...will stick with the one half teaspoon per pound thumbrule and no rinsing. Thanks all!!

Comment

I always use Kosher Salt by site and it always comes out great. No rinsing, no long periods of brining (for steaks only). Thicker = more coverage, thinner = less. You can always add more salt after it is cooked if you want it. If you do it often enough, you will find the sweet spot and won't have to think about it much.

To me, the temperature you pull it is way more important provided you do not over-salt. Pull it at 132-135. I Highly recommend a Thermapen as seconds sometimes do matter.

I may be the only one, but I do not do the popular reverse sear, I sear it hot and quick above coals until it "Looks Perfect", then move it over to the the other side to finish it off indirectly. I often add hickory on top of the coals to add smoke while it comes to temperature.

I've never had a single complaint, my friends still come over for dinner, and my method keeps it simple. Focus on temperature and keep it simple.

Comment

• Jmccloskey659
            Jmccloskey659 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks BQ; interesting to hear someone else is not doing the reverse sear as I am
            leaning in your direction (I.e., forward sear). Although I believe there is a lot of justification and science that supports the reverse sear, there's something in my taste buds that pulls me back to the forward sear. Just purchased the latest Thermapem to assist. Thanks all for advice!!

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Quite some time ago MH did a video of a side by side cook; one reverse seared steak, and one front seared. They had a slightly different flavor profile, but I don’t think they declared that one was "better."

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            The most important thing is that it works for you and your tastes! 😎

I don't measure the salt. I just salt like I would at the table and try to brine the day before cooking for steak. I do use kosher salt.

Comment

My personal opinion, after dry brine there's no such thing as the meat sitting too long, but it is possible not to sit long enough. Salt naturally will disperse and find equilibrium. Having said that, there will be a point where sitting longer provides no value, and you don't want to leave meat sitting forever, even in the fridge. As to how much, I tend to agree with RonB, kosher salt at roughly the same amount I would sprinkle out of a shaker (although kosher isn't in my shaker).

Comment

I had a hard time convincing my better half about the 1/2 teaspoon per pound thing. But after a few "never had before this good meals" I now have her under my control! Mmmhahahah. Just be sure you know how much salt is in your rub.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's guidance. I believe I know what to do at this point!!

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great to hear you got what you needed. Let us know how everything works out!

Good example of the BS you have to watch out for on the internet. Not here, though. I think you might enjoy watching the Pit video with Dr. Blonder on salt if you ever have the time. It's not the kind of thing you will post on social media ("hey, what did you do last night? I watched a 2 hour lecture on salt!") But it's sooooo enlightening and interesting, imho.

Comment

Define well thought out and explained?

So was my first marriage, but it went like your cook. Too salty and tough.

Stick with AR and adjust to your taste. If the science changes they will let us know.

11/4" nice steak!

Comment

• Jmccloskey659
                    Jmccloskey659 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's a good one...very funny!! Will certainly follow your advice. Thanks!

It almost sounds to me like a French cooking technique whereby the piece of meat (I've mostly heard of doing this with whole fish) is totally encrusted with salt. Some techniques actually call for combining the salt with egg whites and making a form of batter. In the oven the salt hardens and acts like a sort of baking dish enveloping and cooking the meat in its own juices. You don't leave the salt on the meat for a period of time, the salt merely acts as a vessel. I suppose some salt does season the food but its not a brining technique.

Best to stick to what others have already said. I have gotten to the point of salting and leaving 24-36 hours with great results on steak, chops and chicken. Good luck!!

Comment

Troutman by way of the classic French dish, Baked Alaska.

Comment

May I ask what you do not like about the reverse sear? have you seen Adrenaline BBQ's Cold Grate technique video?

Comment

• Jmccloskey659
                        Jmccloskey659 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I don't seem to be getting the proper crust, however it's probably due to my inexperience with this method (think neglecting to pat dry directly before the sear may be the cause). I really like the approach and know it should work so I keep trying (just thought I would try a forward sear again for comparison). Will be viewing the video in about 2 minutes. Thanks!!

• Jmccloskey659
                        Jmccloskey659 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Just viewed the video you referenced. Think the cold grate method just may be the answer!!! Thanks again.

• Powersmoke_80
                        Powersmoke_80 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Jmccloskey659 Your welcome, yes it defiantly gives a better flavor with an all over crust. That David Parrish guy is a Genius!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here