Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parchment paper instead of aluminum foil.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parchment paper instead of aluminum foil.

Was wondering, with the recent negative press cooking in aluminum is getting, has anybody tried wrapping in parchment instead of foil to hold their cooked items? Do juices leak through while resting in the faux cambro?

I would think it would be similar to butcher paper. I find that the paper soaks up a lot of grease from the meat. It then stains whatever towel I am using to wrap it in. Granted the towels are already junk, but I don't like having a greasy towel for my next cook. Personally, I like to use foil because it does a way better job of saving the Au Jus. I have a roll of butcher paper, but I use it to cover my tables and work areas, not for wrapping. It looks cool and it makes clean up easy.

Personally, I don't believe the Al scare. I think eating fatty brisket, pulled pork, ribs etc. will kill me before the use of Al does. It seems like this debate come up every few months, after someone writes an article.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL. Good one Hawk!

HawkerXP

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      That is some funny stuff right there HawkerXP!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Innovation at its finest!

Did a bit more research and found that neither butcher paper or parchment paper are coated with paraffin or plastic, but freezer paper is. Maybe freezer paper is an alternative to foil.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr ROK View Post
      Did a bit more research and found that neither butcher paper or parchment paper are coated with paraffin or plastic, but freezer paper is. Maybe freezer paper is an alternative to foil.
      That would make sense, but I found some info on Reynolds website. It turns out they use a plastic coating that will melt in the oven. Granted, you won't be using high oven temps, but a hold in a 170 F oven might be hot enough.

Other sources I found said that they use a "petroleum-enriched wax" that is applied to one side of the paper.

I think if you have concerns about using foil, butcher paper might be your best bet. Although I could see using a tight fitting dutch oven for a pork shoulder. I wonder how that would do?

Comment

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not talking about in the oven, just the beer cooler after the cook. I never wrap when cooking.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Got ya. Well then it might work, but that brisket or shoulder is still going to be hot. Dr ROK

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        Dr ROK , yep. If my number 6 kid keeps up the hard work, I'll be throwing a big high school graduation party in June...I was just thinking that if I cook up several Pork Butts for the party, I could hold them in a couple or three crockpots until it was time to pull the pork for the meal...The juices would still be in the pot for easy mixing!

When I wrap with butcher paper before going in the cambro I wrap aluminum foil over the butcher paper. Had no problems yet.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I like that idea.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        This ^. I hate the thought of losing all that juicy goodness to the paper and whatnot. I have been doing this, too.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I do the same thing as DWCowles only I put the butcher paper wrapped meat into a pan first then cover the pan with foil before going into the cooler. Works well for me and keeps the towels from getting grease soaked.

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post

That would make sense, but I found some info on Reynolds website. It turns out they use a plastic coating that will melt in the oven. Granted, you won't be using high oven temps, but a hold in a 170 F oven might be hot enough.

Other sources I found said that they use a "petroleum-enriched wax" that is applied to one side of the paper.

I think if you have concerns about using foil, butcher paper might be your best bet. Although I could see using a tight fitting dutch oven for a pork shoulder. I wonder how that would do?
      If you start using a dutch oven for the rest period we will then get articles about dutch oven use causing too much of an increase of iron in our diet and they might call it the "Iron Man" syndrome.

But on a serious note (B flat), since you are not smoking at that time, once heated up, a dutch oven would do the same thing as foil but you would have to keep checking the IT since you can't put a probe in it (need air tight seal or close to it). Might even be a faster cook time and you would catch the Au Jus. What will you think of next?

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I might give it a try. i do have a few DOs laying around the lilly pad.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Back home dad and the guys finish all the briskets in army pots. Mucho juice that way, in fact at serving slices are swimming in juices. No probes, just tenderness.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah well, then you use your Le Creuset! ;-)

Ducks and runs!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here