Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To brine, or not to brine; that is the question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To brine, or not to brine; that is the question.

Did the Costco run and have a bunch of meat to put up. What are your thoughts on salting before vac-sealing and freezing? It seems like it wouldn't matter much for ribs, but what about the big clods of meat like brisket and butt and tri tip and such? I have preseasoned tri tip in the past but was disappointed with the results.

Done it with ribs, not sure it mattered versus over night. I used to put a marinade into the vacuum bag with steaks. It seemed to suck some of it deeper into the meat, but not more than say 1/8". Might want to experiment before committing too much.

Comment

CaptainMike, Cap, I'm still Experimenting on Your Very Question❗️ So Far I Have Been Pleased with Dry Brined (Kosher Salt, Granulated Garlic, & Onion Pwdr), Freezer Bagged (Not Vac Pckd) and Frozen❗️ So Far I am Pleased with the Results on Pork Butts, Pork SL Ribs, and Chicken Legs & Thighs, ( I Can't Afford Wings ☹️ )‼️ The Problen I Have Had is Finding Un Enhanced Meat at Big Box Stores❓ Going Back to Your Original Question, IMHOP, I think You will Liike the Results!
      Eat Well and Prosper❗️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Dan.

I've only done it with tri-tip because I can then put it directly into the SV bath from the freezer. Vacuum sealed with good results.

I do have a couple of SL rib racks in the freezer that I dry brined and vacuum sealed. Can't comment on the results as I have not cooked them yet.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Rod, I was thinking along the SV line as well.

For the big clods, definitely brine. I don't know anything about tri-tip.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Steve, confirming my suspicions. You should try a tri tip sometime, it's a wonderful cut of meat.

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I would love to try a tri tip, but it's just not something that's easy to find here in KY. I saw one at my go-to butcher shop once, but it didn't look like it was cut right, based on what I have seen on here.

I always brine before freezing. You want to make sure you are persevering as much moisture as you can before freezing, because you are going to loose some with the freezing process. Personally, I try to avoid freezing to preserve texture and moisture levels.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Great point on the moisture loss. I usually buy and cook fresh as well, but with the Costco meat-a-palooza I need to freeze some of it. I do have 2 cryovac packers that are just going to chill out for a bit in the fridge.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I let some of my Cryo Vac'd packers go in the fridge for up too 60-days. CaptainMike If you will cook them within that window, I would not freeze them.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Cooking one tomorrow, and will hold the other for some future occasion. I've held one for 45 days, good to know they'll go longer.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here