Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Piggy Surf & Turf (Revised)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piggy Surf & Turf (Revised)

Was at the meat market and the butcher was slicing some nice 1" pork loin chops from a heritage pig so I asked him to slice three 2" double bone chops for me. At the same time my wife was at the grocery and picked up some real nice looking Coho salmon fillets to grill up that evening. When the two met I knew it was love at first sight; so piggy surf and turf it was!

Went ahead and salt brined the chops for about 30 hours in the frig. Ended up having this real sweet smell to them the next day. Fish I kept on ice for freshness. Used my 18" WSM and fired it up with some apple wood at about 225-230 degrees and put the chops on the bottom and the fish on top. Didn't have to wait too long on the fish, about 40 minutes did them to a nice flaky 120 degrees. Continued with the chops until the IT reached about 135 and pulled them. Carry over while resting in the oven got them to about 140 ish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	surf turf 2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	386215

Name:	surf turf 3.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	386216

Although the pork had plenty of smoke and was still quite moist, I wanted something to pair with that smokiness so I made a mango chutney to drape over the top for some sweet and savory contrast. Used the following;

(1) Mango sliced and diced
    (1/4) cup of honey
    (1) tbsp of brown sugar
    (1/4) tsp cayenne pepper
    (1/2) tsp Chipotle pepper
    (1/4) all spice

Brought it to a slow boil until the mango became soft and pliable. Left it chunky for more texture but could also be pureed.

Cut the large chops into a single bone serving, nice slice of fish, twice baked potato (lightly smoked at second baking), home made slaw and some veggies. I ended up waddling to bed after dinner, must have been the glass of red wine !

Name:	surf turf 4.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	386217

HAPPY SMOKIN' YA'LL !!

Boom! There it is, photos and all! Great job, that sure looks tasty!

Comment

Lookin good!!!

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

big problem "Which to try first??" Dang good problem to have

Comment

Mighty nice looking meal!

Comment

Nice!!!

Comment

Damn those chops look good! I'm not a fan of fish and even that looks mighty tasty!

Comment

Looks delicious, especially the piggy part. I'm not a fish eater, but even that salmon looks good!

Kathryn

Comment

Man, that looks good. I am not a fan of salmon being I live on the gulf, but damn that certainly looks like a meal..

Comment

Way to go!!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here