Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Sunday well wasted...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Sunday well wasted...

All done on the HB Ranger.

Chuckies...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20170917_104214.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.58 MB ID:	381716

Avoiding the showers... and being lazy. Click image for larger version  Name:	20170917_112331.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	381717

No crutch. Forgot to bring sugar and the grocery is closed today, but didn't need it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170917_175301.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.60 MB ID:	381718

Jiffy cornbread, but I added a jalapeno. My first CI cornbread on a smoker. Stuck a little coming out of the twice seasoned 8" Lodge. Other than that... heaven!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170917_170857.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.53 MB ID:	381719

Threw down some taters (oil, salt, black pepper), and some spears (oil, salt, black pepper, and an oh so light dusting of cayenne) while pulling the beef.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170917_172718.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	381720

I took them to probe tender, with the HB bouncing between 200-250F, per the cheap dial gauge. Refilled with coals three or four times, about 40 per. Dry brined over night. Rubbed with Garlic powder, cumin, New Mexico chili powder, cracked red pepper, cayenne, and freshly cracked black, about the time I lit the coals. They went on fridge cold. Excellent bark. IT was between 212 and 218. Spent an hour in my lunch box, wrapped in double foil and hand towels. Kinda high, but that is what they took to get there. Advertised as Certified Hereford. A new one on me, but it's what was available.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170917_173754.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.21 MB ID:	381721

Put it all together...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170917_174616.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.77 MB ID:	381722

... and washed it down with a few of these.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170917_181829.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.78 MB ID:	381723

Between all this and yesterday's ribs, I have food stocked up for a bit... so it wasn't really a wasted day. Still it was quite relaxing.

Smoke on, Brothers!!

Last edited by TheCountofQ; September 17, 2017, 08:04 PM. Reason: realized I input an incorrect temp range.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0578.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	381733

I went to the Sierra Nevada Brewery in Chico to get a couple of 32oz canned beers. This truck was in the parking lot. I just had to take the photo.
    Attached Files

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4 I'd like to see a pic of the can. I have growlers from Rossland Brewing and Republic Brewing.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      ComfortablyNumb - sent a photo of the front and back of the can to your Pit message box.

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks tbob4. Now I feel like I should have asked for a can instead....;-)

How sweet is that. Stocked up for the week. Looks delicious!

Comment

Beautiful food, great pics, Sparky!!!

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Nice work. I used to love Pacfico. I got started on that stuff down in Mazatlan, back in the day. I don't know how many of those little 8 OZ bottles we drank on that trip but apparently they were going out of style.

Comment

Nice work on those chuckies! You're right, it takes a lot of cooking and holding to get that kind of result, but it's well worth the extra time and effort.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
              TheCountofQ commented
              Editing a comment
              They were very moist while hot. Dried out a bit after pulled and cooled. They actually cooked rather quick. 6 1/2 hours if I remember correctly. Going to shoot for a lower pit temp, should i do more before checking temps digitally. I'm certain that dial is WAY off.

Chuckies rule, just one of the many things David Parrish kindly threw my way.

Comment

Amazing looking pics and food! Hey tbob4 perhaps that truck is a Constalation Brands sales rep.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

i did chuckies sunday as well. it seems we both had a pretty good day! those look awesome

Comment

I'd eat that supper in a heartbeat and hold my plate up for more, TheCountofQ . Looks delicious. What a good way to waste a Sunday.

Kathryn

Comment

I spent a few years as an over the road sales human. Never thought to take a grill/smoker with me. Count, you are remarkable & those are some great lookin victuals.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
                        TheCountofQ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oh yes, a grill on the road is a necessity. Traveling back in the day, most all of us had some sort of cooker with us. Get 15-20 waiting in a motel for a real money maker project to start, and not much to do but drink beer and cook....!!!!! Yep, good times.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here