Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Way to Cook a Tip Roast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Way to Cook a Tip Roast?

This thing is more marbled than I realized. I bought it to use in a big pot of vegetable beef soup I'm making today (also making a HUGE pot of spaghetti sauce as well as smoking canned tomatoes in the Bradley to puree and use as a base for KC BBQ sauce).

I am torn between 2 methods:

1. Pan sear and then cook it in the complex soup broth to add beefiness.
    2. Cook on the grill and then add it to the soup as it is finishing simmering.

I just bought it this morning and dry-brined it. If I go for option 2. how should I cook it? Should I treat it like a chuck roast and go low/slow? Should I treat it like a huge steak and cook it hotter and faster with a reverse sear, medium rare and then finish it in the pot of soup?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Supposedly tip roast is pretty lean, so there wouldn't be much benefit from low and slow treatment. The butcher's book I have recommends it for grilling as a steak, rare to medium rare, or sliced thin as a roast. It's actually from the round.

Comment

Here's one I did a few weeks ago (assuming we are talking a similar cut). Scroll down in the thread for pics of the finished product. Did it sous vide (maybe the ultimate in low and SLOW) for about 20 hours. It was very enjoyable medium rare! https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...loin-tip-roast

Comment

That is a really interesting question because of what you are going to use it for. First, when you find a trip-tip-tip with a lot of marbling you have hit the jackpot. I typically buy Prime for that very reason. If you cook in in the smoker or on the grill AND you want the beefy flavor in the soup you will likely not get what you are looking for. However, if you are looking for something to add texture, it will work well in the smoker or grill. I add smoked trip-tip-tip to soup and chili all of the time. Mine is smoked at low temp (220) for about 4 hours and reverse seared. If you go with the pan method, I would cut it across the grain first, and then cut into small cubes. I would put butter, onion and garlic in the pot, sear, remove with a slotted spoon. Start the soup and add the cubes.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Just like making chili, I like it.

I grilled it - reverse sear. It came out great! Thank you for all of the tips.

I will post pics and will probably do so on a different thread (making 3 make-ahead items today).

Comment

• kmhfive
          kmhfive commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds wonderful! Looking forward to pictures!

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh sure, just abandon us on this thread! Hahahaha. Great job with the cook and the decision.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here