Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get an impressive bark with a weak gasser !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get an impressive bark with a weak gasser !

Since I got the Meathead book, I have done a lot of trial error on my old Broil King Monarch 30 with infinity burner.

I just love the reverse sear. The bark just tastes like heaven. I prefer rare steak but I am willing to sacrifice a little bit doneness to get more bark if necessary.

However, as my Broil King is limited in Mach 10 power, here is what I do now: low and slow with Mo's Smoking Pouch then sear on a 66K BTU outside burner (just 50$) with GrillGrates on it.

Damn.... Look at this 2 lbs Angus AAA

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_46790.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	376603Click image for larger version  Name:	image_46791.jpg Views:	1 Size:	987.9 KB ID:	376604Click image for larger version  Name:	image_46792.jpg Views:	1 Size:	35.4 KB ID:	376605
    Last edited by NinthWave; September 8, 2017, 05:20 AM.

Good job.

Comment

Fantastic Job!
      That's what cookin's all about...
      Findin' a way to make it happen...
      IMHO

Comment

What sort of grate and how do you set it up?

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Pretty sure he just set Grillgrates on the burner. That's what I would do.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I suppose that's probably a good bet.

Steve R. Attjack Yes, I used Grillgrates as mentionned in my original post

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you know how hot you're getting them? I happen to have one of those burners, though I also have an infrared gasser. So I'm curious whether it will be worth the setup and real estate used.

Nice work NinthWave

Comment

That looks great!

Comment

EdF You mean how hot I get the GrillGrates? I have a 2200F probe with my Thermoworks Q. I will try to place the probe above the grates and get a reading and keep you informed.

I can say that even with both burners at high in the Broil King, I need at least 3x 1min per side to get a so so bark at wich point the internal temps gets around 140F. With the outdoor burner, after 3x 45sec per side, I get this beautiful bark and internal temp is still at 125F.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds great. I'll be looking forward to any additional info that you come up with!

EdF Here is a picture of the full setup. I reached 800F and I wasn't at max setting. I could only keep the T-bone 30 secs per side per run. I prefer a 45s-60s searing per side per run. Hotter that that, it tends to burn instead of sear. This is a 65$cdn burner. It's about 40U$D.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170909_141654[1].jpg
Views:	116
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	377445

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the details!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here