Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smokin Catfish (or any other fish)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smokin Catfish (or any other fish)

We had a pile of frozen catfish pieces and parts and my wife wanted space in the freezer. So, after thawing them out and marinating them a bit, add a little olive oil, throw on some cajun spices and into the smoker they went.

The last time I tried this, the result was not real good - dried out lump of salmon jerk. This time was a different story. The smoke was a little strong in the end but was not bitter - thinking it was too small of a fire and took too long to get done. The catfish was nice and flaky, moist and fall apart.

A few more times and I may have this right but am looking for ideas and suggestions. Not looking at cold smoking, just hot smoking. If anyone has any tips, I am all ears.

The marinade was 2 cups water, 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons salt - sit for 15 minutes.

Many thanks -

This will have some ideas for you. Haven't done catfish, but it's on the oily side, which is good. On the other hand, it tends to be mild, so you probably need to go light on the brine and smoke amount. http://www.uncledavesenterprise.com/...%20Process.pdf

Comment

use a fruit wood, and I like to use blackening seasoning, or as you did Cajun seasoning. baste with butter and lemon juice.

Comment

I know from mucho experienco that hot off the smoker smoked fish is always 'too strong', almost bitter, to my tastes. It tastes way better if you let it cool first. Then eat cold or reheated. Same with smoked cheese IMO. A very light smoke, such as well-lit charcoal w/o any wood is great for hot off the smoker fish, but with wood I personally don't care for it hot off the smoker.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree wholeheartedly with the cheese comment. Try the paper bag trick like on smancy smoked salmon with catfish fillets that are skin on, seems to mellow the smoke.

I am making some smoked fish dip tomorrow out of some snapper, triggers, and flounder we caught yesterday out in the gulf. Put between 85-90 fish in the boat so I suspect quite a bit will find its way across the coals in short order... That is if Irma cooperates. With fish, light smoke and low heat.. in fact, I use my baskets in my cold smoke box if I add smoke..

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          buddy.... flounder with cracked pepper, fresh dill, lemons, salt, and some butter under the skin..... Loading up the Lincoln, what time is come and get it, ill be the chowhound!

• FlaBouy
          FlaBouy commented
          Editing a comment
          Blue crab stuffed flounder is our Thanksgiving meal every year. My wife is from Texas and never had flounder before. I cooked it once for her and she literally drug me to the altar.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Stuffed flounder caught in Copano Bay Texas is to die for, my absolute favorite. Never smoked one though but have grilled them. Love to see a light smoked result.

I love smoked catfish. It has taken me A LOT of experimenting to get it where I like the flavor and texture. Your brine is pretty much what I use, I add some Rosemary. Let them sit in the brine 4-8 hours, then give them a good rinse and lay them on a rack with a small fan blowing across the fillets so they dry out a little, :45 to an hour. Just depends how thick the fish is. I sprinkle some lemon pepper and rosemary all over and smoke between 190-200F. Huskee and others are correct...watch what type and how much wood you use or it gets overpowering and bitter.
        For me using the fan to dry them out a little was the trick. Good luck and post some pictures of your next cook.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too - that "pellicle" makes the smoke stick.

My wife crumbled it up, added mayo, a touch of yellow mustard, and some red onions - toned down the smoke a bit. Very tasty. The mustard's bite mellowed the smoke a bit.

I have cherry for smoking - can do that, has a sweet smoke

I have a bunch of flounder in the freezer - gonna try it soon. The crab idea sounds real good also - got some soft shells in the freezer as well.

Will take a look at the link tomorrow.

I am gonna be busy here soon.

Many many thanks.

All ideas are good

Comment

Smoked and finished off to 135... Tender.. moist.. flaky.. slap your grandma good. Ready to toss into the smoked fish dip.. well.. what doesn't get eaten off the board.
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here