Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting steaks from whole boneless New York Strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting steaks from whole boneless New York Strip

I just found a deal I couldn't pass up on a cryovac boneless New York Strip weighing 12 pounds. Having never cut my own steaks before I thought I would see if there is any advice anyone might share on the subject. The quality of the beef is normal supermarket level. Thanks.

You're probably not thinking along these lines, but what I'd do is get an Umai bag (https://www.drybagsteak.com/), dry age for 35 days, do a minimal trim, and slice them at least an inch and a half thick. Then reverse sear or SV + sear. YMMV.

This is what the ribeyes I aged looked like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_163556.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	372766Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_204455.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	372767
    Last edited by EdF; September 1, 2017, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• tkt4
      tkt4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, EdF. I watched the basic video on the Umai website and, you're right, it's more than I want to do right now. I suppose if I'd ever eaten a piece of dry aged meat I would be all over it but I don't know what I'm missing.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ed - those are really nice looking slices. The photos were not in during the first go-around.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I was very pleased, and still have 3 in the freezer. Hmnnn...

Ed's idea is really good. If you decide to go the regular route you need to start with a sharp knife. I put the roast in the freezer for about an hour before cutting it into steaks. I have made the mistake of trimming before carving into steaks. Don't do that. You can always cut away after you have your steaks cut. When the roast feels good and firm, but not frozen, take it out of the freezer. I typically even up the ends. I have found that if I roll the roast so that the fat side is on the cutting board I get a cleaner cut. Figure out how thick you like your steaks. Cut the first one and use it as your guide for where to cut the next steak. I can't emphasize enough that the sharp knife is needed. Even for a short time at room temp the meat will become pliable and your cuts will not be as even. With that said, if you have the room in the fridge you should give EdF 's idea a try at least on half of the roast. I have never done it but a lot of folks here report that it is the way to go.

Comment

• tkt4
      tkt4 commented
      Editing a comment
      This is very helpful, tbob4. I'd better get on the knife sharpener!

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      A long blade also helps. Single slice vs sawing action gives cleanest surface on your steak.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      HorseDoctor - Absolutely, thanks! tkt4 - sorry I didn't think of describing the knife. Horsedoctor is right on.

Both EdF and tbob4 have the idea. I also think that lonnie mac has done Strip roast into steaks. I did one where I intentionally cut two different thicknesses as my wife and daughter like theirs a little more done and they don't eat as much.

Comment

• kmhfive
      kmhfive commented
      Editing a comment
      That's funny right there tbob4!

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      I just hope lonnie mac is doing alright so he can reply

• tkt4
      tkt4 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a good idea about two different thicknesses. Since both my wife and I like a similar doneness I think I'll cut them all thicker and we will divide one steak between us.

The only way I do steaks is from a roast. If you want to dry age them using the bags or a dedicated fridge, this is your chance. If not, like tbob4 said, freeze for about an hour to firm them up. Then put a ruler and don’t cut less than 1.5 inches. I do 2. With a strip roast you are going to have a thin section, make your first cut at the edge of that, make your big 1.5-2 inch cuts past the mark. The thin part I use for omelettes and/or stir fry. Once you have steaks cut by you, to your liking, it will be hard to go back to buying more expensive steaks that are pre-cut.

Be be careful though, this was a slippery slope for me. I now butcher my own half beef. I started by just cutting my own strips. You have been warned.....

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I would love to hear about your dry aging technique. I tried it once and ruined a TRUE prime rib. Scared me off since then.

• tkt4
      tkt4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I got a laugh out of your comment about the ease of getting in deeper and deeper, Sephon. Also, it was good to see my suspicion confirmed that the ends might be less uniform for steaks.

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      MBS? = Multiple butchering syndrome?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here