Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse Sear or Sear-and-Move...Need Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Sear or Sear-and-Move...Need Help!!

Looking for advise on the best method; is it the same for both burgers and steaks ( such as strip steaks)? Everything I read lately recommends the reverse sear method, however I'm not sure if this is simply the "flavor of the month"? I've been experimenting and given that I am a novice to grilling, I'm questioning the method (albeit I'm sure it's inexperience on my part.). Are there any proponents to the sear-and-move method? Thanks!

The reverse sear is very popular with most here, and has been for a good & long while. It's what I recommend. Am not familiar with the sear and move method. Is that sear first, then put in a cooler spot? Still, I recommend a low temp bake, then sear, at least on thicker steaks.

Comment

Thick steaks, reverse sear. You can use the cold grate method if you want. Thin steaks, just sear, but keep flipping so that the opposite side gets an opportunity to cool.

Comment

Thanks TheCountofQ...yes; sear first then move to indirect heat. I'm just looking for guidance and know I alwAys find it here!!

Comment

Thanks JCGrill!!

Comment

I always front-sear burgers now, since I feel the quicker cook keeps 'em a tad more moist, and that crunchy sear crust with toasted buns and a just-done juicy interior is unreal.. Really thick steaks I'll reverse sear, but lately I've been reverting back to front-searing them too if they're 1" or under. Personally I prefer them to have less smoke in the taste than what revsere sear give 'em, so this works for us.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              You cook steaks under 1" thick?

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't they call those slivers of meat?

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              ecowper - Smash steaks baby! He let you in on a new secret but it's out now.

You will alwAys get good guidance here in the Pit. Once in awhile you might be coaxed or enticed to spend a little extra money. But that's OK cuz you'll get more stuff.

Comment

Generally you get a better sear with reverse sear because the surface is drier when you then sear. Less moisture/evaporation means the temp can go up faster so you can brown quickly without affecting the interior temp.

This is more important the thicker the meat and the more you obsess about a perfectly cooked inside.

For burgers, not a big deal. For a rib roast or tenderloin, definitely.

Comment

If I am cooking a steak, from beginning to end, on a Santa Maria grill I buck the trend. I sear, back off, and sear in the end. If you do this, you will ensure that you will get a band of color from the top. While you can still get a nice medium rare steak, you will not get the definition of a rare steak. It won't win you any contests in a competition but it may be the way you prefer your steak.
                Last edited by tbob4; August 29, 2017, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Same. I eat with my mouth, not my eyes. I think too many people fuss over a photo-worthy steak w/o any banding. Bah. I want the perfect sear and minimal, but still present, smoke.

When I cook indoors I sear on a hot cast iron pan, and finish in the oven. Hard to beat.

Comment

• JCGrill
                  JCGrill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ditto. I've never tried a reverse sear when using the stove and oven method, but I suppose it would be possible, if you have the cast iron on the stove and either another cast iron or some other vessel in the oven.

These guys really git her done......

Comment

When all else comes up short........Sous Vide and Sear.

Comment

Lately for burgers and steaks reverse sear has become the norm in my house. Steaks (thick ones, that is), I'll start in the Kettle at 250f with just a little wood. When it is about 20-25 degrees below my target temp, I take it off the grill, wrap in foil and rest for 10 minutes. After that, it goes into a screaming hot cast iron pan with beef love or bacon fat, and butter. The results so far have been very, very good. For burgers I'll follow the same method, skipping the wrapping, but still going into the cast iron pan.

Comment

Thanks for that video link Troutman....excellent!

Comment

Since I got the MeatHead book, I have done a lot of trial error on my old Broil King Monarch 30 with infinity burner.

I just love the reverse sear. The bark just tastes like heaven. I like rare steak but I will sacrifice doneness to get more bark.

However, as my Broil King is limited in Mach 10 power, here is what I did: low and slow with Mo's smoking pouch then sear on a 66K BTU outside burner with GrillGrate.

Damn.... Look at this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_46790.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	376603Click image for larger version  Name:	image_46791.jpg Views:	1 Size:	987.9 KB ID:	376604Click image for larger version  Name:	image_46792.jpg Views:	1 Size:	35.4 KB ID:	376605
                        Last edited by NinthWave; September 7, 2017, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here