Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wine in water pan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wine in water pan?

I will be smoking beef ribs tomorrow and I'm wondering if wine would be good in the water pan? has anyone ever done this?

Why would you waste wine?

Comment

No, it is a waste of wine. It will do nothing to impart flavor on the meat. Give this article a read. Meathead addresses this issue specifically. "There is a reason they are called water pans."

Comment

I have some wine that i need to get rib of just wondering if that would put more flavor into them.

Comment

Hey there domino Here's an article from the main site that sheds some light on your question:

​​​​​​http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...water_pan.html

Here's an excerpt from that page. Its toward the bottom of the article if you want to look:

​​​​​​ "What goes in the water pan?
          Pitmasters argue over what should go in the water pan. Not surprising since we argue about everything, even the meaning of the word barbecue. Some say beer, wine, apple juice, onions, spices, and herbs. Some folks like to put sand, dirt, gravel, or terra cotta in the water pan. What works best? There's a reason it is called a water pan.

Drink the beer
          Drink the beer. Drink the wine. Drink the juice. Put the spices on the meat. Just use hot water. Don't waste your money. Many of the compounds in these other liquids will not evaporate and even if they do, they just make no impact on flavor. You may be able to smell them, but the number of flavor molecules in beer, wine, or juice are so few that even if they were deposited on the surface, they would be spread out so thin you would never notice them. The flavors of the spice rub you put on the surface of the meat, the smoke, and the sauce you chose, are much much stronger and will mask any molecules of apple juice or whatever else is in the pan that might alight on the meat."

That said, I say if you have wine that needs to go it certainly won't hurt a bit to use it up.
          Last edited by Jon Solberg; August 25, 2017, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Thank you!! I am new to this and have heard many different things so I figured I'd ask the experts.

Comment

I cant wait to hear and see about your rib cook tomorrow! Keep us posted.

Comment

Yep, the only reason to have something in the pan besides water is if it's something else you are cooking -- beans, for example. Use the wine to make a sauce for fillets later!

Comment

Wonder if doing a Texas crutch on ribs with water would do anything. I had some brisket at a bbq joint here and you could taste it a little but I really did not like it because the moisture took away from the normal good bark on a brisket.

Comment

• texastweeter
                    texastweeter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I use a broth made from the drippings out of previous crutched briskets and beef ribs combined with the broth from the boiled bones from beef ribs, its kinda like recycling it lol. but for real it is really good for soup bases and anything that calls forbeef broth (like brisket injections)

• texastweeter
                    texastweeter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    and only let it spendabout an hour to an hour and a half crutched, then finish them for an hour in the smoker with no water pan to cheer up the bark.

• mcolson1590
                    mcolson1590 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If you crutch the ribs, how do you know they are done? Its hard to do a bend test when they are wrapped in foil.

Put the wine in yourself...

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                    HorseDoctor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    RIGHT! If it ain't good enough to drink, it ain't getting near my meat any other way either!

Sometimes I struggle with leftover wine that's just not great anymore, I have a hard time finishing a whole bottle in one evening so there's usually half left. A great use of red wine is Meathead's Rich Red Wine sauce. It'll go great with your beef ribs, give it a try and use up that wine if it's past its drinkable stage. Make a half batch, or save up two half bottles (if you don't want to use a whole unopened bottle that is).

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wuuuurd. I shoulda thought of this one. Touche Boss!

• texastweeter
                    texastweeter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    even oxidized wine is good to reduce to make a sauce.

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Same goes fer oxidized beer...

I don't like wine, but I put water in my water pans.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here