Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 'you'll never go back' cook.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled pork enchilada in scratch guajillo sauce, pastrami and more recently sous vide fried chicken and Detroit Coney Chili.

Comment

When I was a tyke I drank my mother's milk, then my dad gave me a taste of his ale. After that there was no going back, my former drinking vessel becoming nothing more than a play toy, replaced by a pint glass and a life long quest to sample as many ales as I can.

Comment

Great answers, guys. Although I would like to challenge a few of you to better explain what you aren't going back to. And I do admit that 'never' is a mighty long time and I'm exaggerating a bit. But I understand an answer like 'homemade pastrami' means not going back to store bought. If your answer was just 'ribs' what is it that you aren't doing anymore?

Comment

• kmhfive
          kmhfive commented
          Editing a comment
          So, to clarify for me: I have stopped searching for great steak at restaurants. I can make something so much better with the SV Tri Tip that I have no interest in what "they" have as their highest-price steak. I'll get something else.

Texas style beef ribs took me from only burning patties and cheap dogs on a grill, to bbq/smoke/grill 5 days a week. Before that I thought that the sloppy chopped beef sandwiches at the big chain BBQ joints were the pinnacle. It made me realize that was like that plastic bottle vodka with the screw top I chugged in college, compared to a fine 18 year old single malt.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Her avocado chipotle egg salad toasted in black iron will make you eat till you hurt. She has a tortilla soup that is famous in our neighborhood, my work, and our church. Oh and I cant even get started on her broccoli, chili, cheddar soup.....

• Mudkat
          Mudkat commented
          Editing a comment
          Pics of that avocado egg salad in the black iron would be an awesome coop if she's willing. texastweeter

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          hmm, that is a good idea... I may not feel like cooking tomorrow....

texastweeter the first time I ate BBQ in Austin was a revelation!

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I have never had Aaron Franklin's Q .... It was Ironworks the first time

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Ironworks is good too. Several small places that don't get credit. there are two in Palestine tx that are old school as heck, and are FANTASTIC. Nowadays, when going to Aarons, you gotta stop at roundrock and grab some doughnuts to eat in line it is so backed up!

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I get to Austin 2-3 times a year .... make a point of grabbing Q at least once on each trip. Usually one night is some good Q and one night is some good Tex-Mex.

I once worked with a chemist- graduated with his BS when he was 18 and added two masters later.

Among other things, he taught me how to make ribs his way. He regularly used his chemistry k owl edge in his kitchen. AMAZING cook.

Also taught me how to make Grand Mariner and cognac.

Comment

I have had many Ah Ha moments with grilling and BBQ but I think the reverse sear and cooking with thermometers was the biggest game changer for me.

Comment

I'll never "go back indoors"!

Comment

Second the thermometer! SV steak, smoking everything in sight now, vertically roasted chicken (beer can w/o the can), using a cast iron flat top on the grill for diner burger...al stuff I learned here! I send everyone who asks how I did something to this website...it's a game-changer!

Comment

Yup, your imagination, nothin there. Hope it tasted good. Oops, I slipped, there was nothin to taste. But, my sentiments exactly. It did blow my wife's mind when I started spinning the grate on the Weber.
                Oh, and by the way......... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0058.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	366777Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0060.JPG
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	366778Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0062.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	366776Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0061.JPG
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	366779

Comment

Great pics of Beautiful Food, FireMan !!!
                  Love th' bonus inclusion of Hohner Marine Band, and Victorinox knife!

Comment

The pork chops via the 5S method (Select good ones, Wet brine for Salt and sugar, Season with MMD, Smoke to 135-140 IT, Sauce with maple-sherry vinegar until shellacked). When I nail that, there's nothing better.

Comment

Smoked Thanksgiving turkey for me. I've never had a "bad" turkey cooked in the oven, but the smoker takes it to a couple of new levels better. Smoked meatloaf is a very close 2nd place.

Comment

• Storlok
                        Storlok commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Have to agree with you 100% on both counts. Smoked turkey is the only turkey I will ever serve again, and I'll never touch a meatloaf that has not been smoked. Both items are fantastic smoked, and just ok oven baked.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here