Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 'you'll never go back' cook.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 'you'll never go back' cook.

I've heard this before with more than one kind of food. Once you grill a pizza you'll never want it any other way. Once you make your own bacon you'll never eat store-bought again.

For me, it's reverse sear on steak. I've been doing this frequently this summer and I feel like I really have it dialed in. Tonight was New York Strips (no pics, so this is all my imagination). I can't believe how good they turned out. It's going to be difficult for me to make steak any other way.

What's your 'you'll never go back' cook?

Tri Tip: SV for 12-hours at 131F, chill, reverse sear. No better steak in my mind!

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      12 hours?!

• kmhfive
      kmhfive commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep! Beautiful texture.

Reverse seared steak bumped up a notch by the cold grate method. I cooked one for a friend and he said that he'd never order one in a restaurant again if he could cook one that good. And that was before Dave posted his cold grate method.

Comment

Sous vide for tri-tip. I'll never try to just indirect and sear that stuff again.

Comment

I would agree with reverse searing meat. I did my first some odd 10 years ago and I never looked back. It was very new then, but I could feel a huge difference in process, presentation, and taste.

But that was long ago...

For me it is this following truth I give to all.

Ribs are done when they are done.

Comment

For me it was home made corned Beef! It was so much more flavorful it has made store bought (precut) almost tasteless!!

Comment

Grilled turkey was a revelation!

Comment

3 or 4 years ago after cooking on a gas grill my whole life I decided to try charcoal, a Weber Performer. After burning it in my first cook was a pair of ribeyes for my wife and I. After the first bite we were both floored by the taste, they were far superior to any steak we'd had from our gassers. That was my "I'll never go back" moment, I'll never own a gas grill again.

Comment

Texas Style beef ribs.... made me fall in love with BBQ.

Comment

Chicken on the PBC. Amazing.

Comment

• adamjs83
                    adamjs83 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We just tried chicken in the PBC for the first time and I have to say it was by far the best chicken o have ever had. NEVER going back.

Smoked Turkey
                  'Nuff said...

Comment

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yup ....first time I did that .... well, I've never gone back. I tolerate oven roasted turkey if I must, but I never do it that way at my own house.

• RonB
                    RonB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree that turkey with some smoke applied is way better than turkey from the oven. I've been making rotisserie turkey for Thanksgiving for many years.

grinding your own burger

Comment

• JCGrill
                    JCGrill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Another one I've heard before. Glad you mentioned it.

Homemade pastrami.

Comment

Think you guys have just about covered it. I agree with the above, but my turning point was probably making last meal ribs.

Comment

Homemade pastrami, and just last week, pulled pork on the kamado.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here