Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Bad Beef Rub Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great-looking Brisket!

Comment

I pretty much only use BBBR when all the people I'm cooking for appreciate some heat with their beef. One of my daughters has so much trouble with heat/spice that she cuts away the crust of a tri-tip cooked only with light amounts of coarse black pepper and kosher salt. So, if I'm only cooking brisket and she is going to be eating some, I only do a light rub with equal parts kosher salt/pepper/granulated garlic. Even then, Jordan considers the brisket spicy. This is why, often, you will see me cook ribs or brisket AND a couple chicken breasts. When I cook a steak for Jordan, I only dry brine the steak, no other spices on it.

That said, I actually think the absolute best preparation for brisket is equal parts coarse black pepper, granulated garlic, and kosher salt. Typically, I make brisket by trimming at least 12 hours before it will go on the smoker and then letting it sit in the fridge. After I light my charcoal, I wet the meat lightly and apply my rub. It sits in the fridge like that for the hour, or so, until the smoker is ready and then it goes straight from the fridge to the smoker.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here