Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Bad Beef Rub Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Bad Beef Rub Question

I am making my first brisket this weekend and will be using the Big Bad Beef Rub. I enjoy some heat, but my family usually stays away from spicy food. How hot will my brisket be using this rub? And what might be a good replacement for the chipotle/cayenne powder if its too hot?

Btw I've been using the site for a few months now and my bbq skills are growing every week. Thank you!!
    (also my first post so my apologies if I posted this in the wrong place)

I will be cooking on a Big Green Egg

I don't find the rub spicy at all due to the chipotle/ cayenne as the quantiles are quite small. If you apply the rub heavily, you will get a pretty strong taste of pepper, which I happen to like. I would use the rub as is first, but apply quite lightly. Then you decide how you like it.

Comment

Welcome Geekandproud the rub isn't spicy

Comment

i found it a bit hotter than i wanted especially if you put it on liberally. i tend to replace one of the chili powders with paprika.

Comment

• DeusDingo
          DeusDingo commented
          Editing a comment
          i forgot to mention that you should use pepper from a grinder and medium course. if you use normal pepper like you put in a pepper shaker it will be too much pepper

• purp
          purp commented
          Editing a comment
          Another good replacement: ancho chili powder, if you can find it. It's still got that chili flavor, but is significantly (10x) more mild.

Fun: many popular peppers on the Scoville scale — https://www.thespruce.com/hot-chile-...-scale-1807552

Only way I've gotten heat is a heavy application on the sides.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Yooo sooo macho big boy!😎

Welcome to The Pit. Some people are less tolerant of heat than others. I suggest cutting the cayenne or chipotle pepper in half the first time. You can't remove it if it's too hot. If everyone is OK with with the heat, you might add a bit more next time.

My MIL thought pepper was hot and I always cut back when I knew she would be there to eat. I just added more at the table. BTW - I tried BBBR and did not think it was hot.

Another alternative would be to use Montreal Steak Seasoning. If you dry brine, use the reduced sodium version.
        Last edited by RonB; August 18, 2017, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Aaron Franklin sells a LOT of brisket with nothing but kosher salt and coarse ground pepper. Might be a place to start with your first one. I've not found anything better yet for beef...

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            And it's great to have a benchmark!

Cooking it will rein in the heat somewhat, but it will likely be too spicy for those who like their food mild. I think you could just leave out the chipotle/cayenne and not replace it with anything.

I am in the same situation, and lately I have been just going with kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper as a rub. Everybody who has tasted it loves it.

Comment

I agree with Steve R. "I think you could just leave out the chipotle/cayenne and not replace it with anything."
            also use the course ground black pepper Sam's Club has it called restaurant style you actually use less if it's Course and easier to see how much you apply. Kind of like the difference between table Salt and kosher salt.Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	375.4 KB ID:	364685

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, that's the same exact stuff I use. I might actually experiment with using equal parts BBBR and pepper on the next chuckie I do.

Thanks for all the comments. I like the idea of starting out with just salt and pepper. This way I will have a benchmark for next time. I'll be sure to grind the pepper medium coarse/coarse. I'll post some photos when its done.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              Welcome aboard! Be sure to post how it went, and pictures.

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Good call. I will say it's a little tougher to get the bark as dark as you think it should be, without the sugar, etc.. A bit of garlic power and/or onion powder added to the mix will make it easier.

Huntington Beach welcomes you and you new BBQ skillz! Be carful as the pepper is hot too... wife and kids here are almost zero tolerant if heat. Omit and add later is the general rule changing one thing at a time for reference.

good luck and post pics or else it didn't happen!

Comment

Good choice

Comment

I DO like a modified big bad beef rub over a Dalmatian or dirty Dalmatian rub, but that is the only thing that beats them to me.

Comment

• Steve R.
                  Steve R. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What is this dirty Dalmation rub you speak of?

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  1/3 kosher salt, 1/3 cracked pepper, 1/3 lemon pepper

I ended up using the rub in the recipe. I think it came out great. I was so excited to carve it that I forgot to take a photo until I was halfway done. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170820_023947.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	365738

Comment

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Did you think it was hot or spicy?

• HorseDoctor
                  HorseDoctor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks awesome! Great job!

I applied the rub lightly. It was a little peppery on the burnt ends. But there was no real heat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here