Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prepped and in fridge - plastic or foil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prepped and in fridge - plastic or foil?

Just curious and if it makes a difference.

After prepping meat (Butt, ribs, chicken), do you wrap in plastic or foil when you put back in the fridge? Or does it even matter?

Matters not!!!

Comment

Given that I'm prepping 2 butts, four slabs of rib and 2 chickens, foil would be much easier to work with.

Comment

I leave chicken uncovered so the skin can desiccate and have a chance to get crispy. Everything else gets covered with plastic wrap. That's just my preference, and it's not a show stopper either way.

Comment

I always worry about the potential chemical reactions between foil and seasoning ingredients. I generally go with plastic bags or wrap or stainless steel hotel pans (a.k.a. insert pans or steam table pans).
          Last edited by gcdmd; August 18, 2017, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Me too! I've had it happen and it'll taint the meat.

• bardsleyque
            bardsleyque commented
            Editing a comment
            yes I've had foil react with rub

I generally don't wrap anything. I like to have air contact when dry brining beef and chicken. I do elevate everything on a steel rack placed inside a rimmed baking sheet. Line the bottom with A-Foil to catch excess salt / rubs to make cleanup easier. --Ed

Comment

• sblair1255
            sblair1255 commented
            Editing a comment
            I do the same. I've heard some cooking shows say the raw meat has to be covered to prevent cross contamination of some bacteria. But that doesn't make sense since it's all stored side by side at any good butcher shop.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Ditto.

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, I brine 'nekkid' too. I avoid plastic or foil if I can.

I wrap Pork in Plastic, usually put Beef or Click image for larger version

Name:	CAC02DC1-102E-4225-B95D-CBFDA61E041D.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	364453 Chicken in a aluminum tin and cover with foil. Not sure why I do either, must have read something some where.

Comment

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            Lookin' good! Now I'm getting antsy because i don't have plans to cook anything this weekend.

• Pirate Scott
            Pirate Scott commented
            Editing a comment
            Steve R. I have butts on now, Beef Ribs will go on tomorrow, and my wife wants Buxom Breast Chicken made ahead for leftovers, Lunch etc...

I've worked for a few catering companies when I was much younger. Both places I worked had us wrap in both. They said plastic to make sure it stays as airtight as possible and no smells transfer in the fridge and foil to mark contents (you can write on foil) and use for reheating. Generally we used pans and just covered with plastic then foil and took plastic off before reheating. I also think they had concerns about the reaction between the foil and the food.

Comment

That is a good question. I always use plastic or glass for food prep but will store cooked food in anything. It goes back to my mom explaining that certain ingredients react with metal. I know that she was referring to acids and she didn't do any BBQing. When I was young I could never remember what I was and was not supposed to put in metal during prep so I just went with glass and/or plastic.

Comment

I wrap with plastic wrap. But then, I have like a million foot roll of plastic wrap from Costco, so it is always handy.

Comment

Storlok I agree. 5,000 ft of plastic can keep supplying me, especially with the cost of aluminum foil.

Comment

i dry brine everything and leave uncovered so the surface gets nice and tacky that it forms a "pellicle". it will attract more smoke and color this way.

Comment

Vacuum seal or plastic wrap. I try to avoid foil as much as possible.

Comment

If you dry brined it, use plastic wrap. I personally have had a few nasty reactions with foil while dry brining.

Comment

When I was taking classes and we did some catering we wrapped the meat in plastic the added foil over the plastic for storage

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here