Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef short ribs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef short ribs help

Bought a side of beef last month. 8 Packs of these came with the side. This one will be will go into a crock pot this weekend. What can we do in smokers with the rest? Thanks, Larry
    Attached Files

Cook them like brisket but expect less time needed, or like chuck roast.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Amen!

• Brisket Syndicate
      Brisket Syndicate commented
      Editing a comment
      This!!

What EdF said. They are awesome! My favor rub for beef ribs is Big Bag Beef Rub.

Comment

What they said! Delicious.

Comment

They need naught but a dry brine, some coarse ground black pepper and a few hors of (medium) low and slow smoke. Medium being 250-300 F. Cook til probe tender, usually 200-205 F. Heaven!!! Enjoy!

Comment

There is a great article here about beef ribs. Follow it. Use the Big Bad Beef Rub (I prefer using ancho for the regular chili powder and chipotle for the cayenne plus a bit more black pepper) and dry brine as explained. I DO crutch my beef ribs, and add in a bit of home made a jus (from the drippings of brisket mixed with a stock made from boiling the left over beef rib bones...think recycling since I use it as the base for my brisket injection as well). 3 hours in the smoker at about 245, 1.5 hours crutched, and then finally 1 hour back on the grates to firm up the bark. Oh and I use an oak/mesquite mix on my wood. Think steak on a stick!!!!!one of my favorites.

Comment

Thank you all!

Comment

All the above advice is right on the money. I don't crutch mine, and they take longer (Usually whole slabs). I also trim off the hard fat before the dry brine. It's hard to tell how they are cut, from the pic above, still being in a bag. It looks like I can see some marrow in the cut bones, looking at the top side of the bag. Pretty short bones then? Maybe an inch+? Kind of an odd cut, if so. At least to me. Looks like a few have a lot of meat, and some have very little.
              Last edited by TheCountofQ; August 16, 2017, 08:05 PM.

Comment

I cook beef back ribs, plate ribs, short ribs, and spare ribs all the same way. I just vary the time in the crutch. looking for probe tender. When the probe pierces the internal membrane with little to no resistance... PLATE IT UP!!! Cowboy pinto beans, smoked corn on the cob, and a little hot and spicy slaw.... make your tongue slap your forehead!

Comment

Salt, heavy pepper, oak wood, 225 degrees.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here