Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butt - Tie or don't tie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Butt - Tie or don't tie?

I'm sure opinions will vary, but just curios on how many people tie up their Butts or leave them as is. I've always tied them up, just for consistency in shape and cooking time.

What say everyone?

Nope...

Comment

"It depends" - mainly on what it looks like and what I'm trying to do. Mostly not, though. But see, my wife, she found this recipe for pounded pork but cutlet on a CI pan on the grill with peaches. And we like to take pieces of butt for that. https://www.evernote.com/l/AKKyZ-0Ze...5TiuDpmVbLWWMs

Comment

• Baltassar
        Baltassar commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the recipe. Definitely going to try that.

I've never tied one, but alla mine been bone-in.
      I've seen many pics of boneless ones here, an' it looked like tyin' was necessary...
      Could ya sneak us a pic, please? Might give us more to go on...

Comment

• pizza67
        pizza67 commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't have anything yet. I've tied them for both Bone-in and boneless. Like I mentioned in the original post, it's more for consistency in cooking so one (thin) part isn't done before the thicker part.

All mine have been bone-in. I tied the first several and hated to see the bark stuck to the twine when I removed it, so I stopped tying and haven't looked back. When removing the finished butts from the cooker I grab both ends so they don't break apart (I put latex gloves on over cotton gloves so I don't get burned).

Comment

• gshayd
        gshayd commented
        Editing a comment
        yes the gloves are a must for taking a tender pork butt of the smoker.

Always done bone-in, never tied.

Comment

I used to tie, but like fuzzydaddy said, it was a shame to see any bark get ripped off when removing the twine. Now I just put on the heat resistant rubber gloves and gently remove it from the rack untied.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          ...and folks looked at me funny when I ate the bark off the twine :-)
          >>SNORT<< Thanks, fuzzydaddy !!!
          Ya' made my mornin', Amigo!!!
          #Redneck Dental Floss !

• pizza67
          pizza67 commented
          Editing a comment
          I've chewed the twine more than once! lol

• JCGrill
          JCGrill commented
          Editing a comment
          I bet if we ran a poll on this site more than 50% have put the twine in their mouth.

I don't tie butt, but tie pork loin. First loin I did no the kettle. Injected with MH's Recipe. Rub on left, none on the right. Note the difference. I always rub the entire loin now.

--Ed

Click image for larger version  Name:	BNLS_Pork_Loin_111114.JPG Views:	1 Size:	74.1 KB ID:	361739

Comment

I've actually never thought of it before - have never tied. Are you happy with the results you are getting? If you get the opportunity to do two side by side - one tied and one not - the results would be fun to read about.

Comment

I never tie my loin, but, have been caught rubbin' it...

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for Sunday morning funny Bones

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              My pleasure, ecowper Eric!!!
              Not a pretty job, but one I excel at lol!!!

90% of the pork butts I cook are from costco. Which means they are boneless. I tie them because otherwise the flop all over the place and fall apart and stuff. Also, I can turn it into a more even hunk of meat, which is helpful for cooking evenly, etc. When I do buy bone in butts from the butcher, I don't tie

Comment

• HorseDoctor
              HorseDoctor commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting... almost all of the one's I do come from Sam's and they are all bone in... no tieing necessary.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Makes perfect sense, given yer supplier / availability of smoker meat... I'd tie, as well.
              Here in 'Hicktown', I regularly get Hormel Always Tender, bone-in...
              No strings attached...

• BruceB
              BruceB commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting! I did 10 pork butts for my retirement parties (2) and all but two came from Costco because they had bone-in available. Cash & Carry only had boneless, and they are a pain to deal with as ecowper describes.

I tie if its going to hang in the PBC.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Also makes perfect sense...
              Good contribution to th' discussion!
              Many Thanks!!!

• BruceB
              BruceB commented
              Editing a comment
              I have given up on hanging pork butts in the PBC. Even with extra hooks, I end up with at least one of them falling. Only on the rack now.

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe I can send a local Boy Scout over to help you with your square knot.

Nope, yes and sometimes.

Comment

I never tie.

Comment

Bone-in > no - Boneless > yes
                Needless to say I don't buy boneless anymore

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Whoomp, there it is!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here