Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grill Cleanup and Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grill Cleanup and Maintenance

I had read once that for baked on goo and crud, soak the pan in water with dishwasher detergent. I smoked a bunch a ribs in my WSM and grilled chicken and kielbasa on the Performer. The 4 chrome racks and the rib racks were a mess. I stuck them out in the utility sink in the garage. I filled the sink with hot water and some Cascade dishwasher detergent and let the soak. The gunk sponged off the next day. I could not believe how great it worked.
    Last edited by GDavis; August 8, 2017, 06:09 AM.

Good to hear! I usually just use a brush and count on the heat to kill the rest on a gas or charcoal grill, but I will scrub the grates from the smoker.

Comment

Yesterday was cleanup day for me. Both the gasser and pellet grill got a cleanup. I try to get things as clean as possible, but if stuff just won't go, I move on. Once done I run the equipment as hot as she goes for a few minutes to get any residual soap and maybe burn a few more bits. SOS pads are the bomb.

Comment

GDavis I agree on the dishwasher detergent. I have a coffee thermos that gets an occasional hand wash. Over the years the interior built up quite a "patina". It started to flake off, so time for a good wash. I used very hot water with dish soap (not dishwasher detergent), didn't touch it. Soaked overnight, added salt, tried Lemi Shine; nothing got this clean. Gave it a 1 hour soak with very hot water and dishwasher detergent, gave it a quick brush and the interior was shiny clean. Enzymes are magic.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          "patina" love it.

Man, I wish there was an easy way to clean the 24" grate on my WSCGC. I usually stick it in the gasser and let it get super hot and scrape as much off with wadded aluminum foil as I can. Then I get after it with a swirled "brush" since I'm concerned about fibers from conventional BBQ brushes. I have to rotate it 180° and repeat since the whole grill can't fit into the gasser.

It takes me as much as 1 hour to clean the WSCGC after use, including dumping the ash, scraping down the insides, wiping down the outside, etc after the grate has been cleaned. I clean it after every use.

OTOH, the PBC cleans up in a New York Minute.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, EdF . I never thought to try one of those on a grate. Would work well for my CI pans too. Win-win.

• jerrybell
          jerrybell commented
          Editing a comment
          How about soaking in dishwasher detergent as GDavis suggests using the water heater pan idea that lonniemac posted here https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ittle-cleaning

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you so much, jerrybell ! We were traveling outside of the country with poor wifi when lonnie mac posted that topic, so I missed it. I'm going to get one of those drain pans this week and give it a try.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here