Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Anyone Tried This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has Anyone Tried This?

I was in AceMart a few days ago looking at Pizza Peels when a guy walked over and picked up one of the metal ones and commented that it might be good for pulling briskets out of a cooker.

Has anyone tried it?

In my mind, envisionin' doin' jus; that, I would likely plop th' brisket on th' peel, then pull, cause I'm afeart slidin' it underneath might wipe out my outer seasonin', and/or bark...
    BUT...th' peel might well make it easier to handle, from that point on...
    An', NOPE, I ain't tried it, Amigo...

Comment

I use frog mats and/or my hands (gloved up twice!). Frog Mats can be manipulated bare handed. Been known to lift and flip to turn over. But cloth gloves covered by latex gloves gives good insulation from heat and I can feel how the meat is cooking.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent method! Thanks!!!
        Gotta get me some Frog Mats,; very useful, an' versatile...

Pretty sure Smoque BBQ in Chicago uses one 1:16 in the video below

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Kinda looks like he did th' 'plop', vs scoop-shovellin' it...
        Hard to say, due to editin'...

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Good find, Jerod. Thank you.

Good observation, HouseHomey

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        I just went there for the first time. Totally effin awesome!!

That's a neat idea.

Comment

Reckon if this catches on, I'll jus' call it my 'brisket spatula', instead o' 'pizza peel' lol!!!

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Dang....I though that was my serving spoon!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Shades of Jethro Bodine, Brother! LOL!!!

I sometimes use a cake lifter to get Pork Butts, Pastramis and Briskets off the grate when it's time for them to come in from the playground. For me, it's just the right size--not quite as large as a pizza peel with a better handle.

Click image for larger version  Name:	abf61203-35b3-49c5-b8de-9def28352aa3_1.c362870eb5329b8d5b63d3e089300d9b.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF.jpg Views:	1 Size:	11.1 KB ID:	355055
        Fat Daddio's Cake Lifter

Kathryn

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Great idea, Kathryn!!!
          Do you scoop, or plop?

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          I like it. It looks to be more sturdy than a pizza peel.

I have a B-Day coming up in a few months. May have to put that on my list.

Comment

Great idea. I just do the Aaron Franklin burn-my-hands-grabbing-it system

Comment

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            I admire a lot of things Aaron Franklin does but that's not one of them. Welders gloves if it's wrapped and latex over cloth if it's not. I like medium rare for a lot of things, but not my hands!!!

• bardsleyque
            bardsleyque commented
            Editing a comment
            I have Tucker safety products fry gloves use them to pull pork as well

I got sooooo tired of burning my phalanges.

Cotton liner with XL latex over that. Match made in heaven.

Comment

I use a separate grill surface. I put my piggies on the main grill, then put the meat on this grill and set the butt, grill and all, on top of the trotters. all I have to do is pick up the grill and bring the entire piece of meat in at one, whole and easily.

Click image for larger version

Name:	grill.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	355233Click image for larger version

Name:	grill.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	355234

Comment

Great idea! My fav is the Hell's Handle turners from Mercer. They are tough. A single one can lift a large brisket without bending. I use two of them at a time, so I can lift, grab the next bite and lift, repeat, and so remove a brisket/butt without loosing any bark.

Handle the heat of a steaming hot grill with this Mercer Culinary M18350 Hell's Handle® high heat 8" x 4" heavy-duty, square edge turner. The heat-resistant handle can withstand up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and absorbs 50% less heat than a standard polypropylene handle, remaining cool to the touch even in the hottest conditions. Plus, this tool has a 45-50% higher melting point than traditional handles, ensuring that it will remain durable long beyond the competitors' models. Perfect for commercial use, the dimpled handle features a dual-textured finish for extra grip, slip resistance, and comfortable use! The handle is also completely sealed for excellent sanitation. This turner's blade is made of high carbon stainless steel, presenting a polished, high quality appearance and reliable performance. All Hell's Handle® heavy-duty turner blades are twice as thick as the standard style and feature the perfect combination of stiffness and flexibility so you can flip larger grilled foods such as burgers and steaks while retaining the slight pliability or give you need for easier use. The beveled edges are sharp enough to get underneath any piece of meat, and they can even scrape off built-up grease on the griddle. These turners make grilling faster, safer, more efficient, and overall a more comfortable cooking experience! Overall Dimensions: Blade Length: 8"Blade Width: 4" Overall Length: 16"

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here