Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grate probe location on Weber Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grate probe location on Weber Kettle

I have a 22in Weber Kettle with a slow n sear...

Where do most people place the grate probe in their kettle...I would think that placing it somewhere in the middle of the cook area would be optimal...problem I find is that most of my cooks use up a lot of the cook area so I do not have much area to place the probe without it being near the edge of the grill or almost on top of the charcoal area...Being that close to the coals probably doesn't give the best representation of the temps in the coking area since the probe is so close to the cols...

Today is probably one of the biggest challenges...I am cooking a whole rack of spare ribs and the meat is taking up almost the whole cook space so placing the grate probe is a challenge, it is almost over the charcoal area...

Thanks in advance...

clb239...

Do this... wad up 3 feet of aluminum foil into a tightly packed ball. Insert your Pit probe through the aluminum ball at an angle where the tip slants upward. Place the aluminum ball on top of your meat dead center between your SnS and the outside wall of your cooker. The meat closes to the SnS will cook a little hotter so half way through the cook rotate your racks left to right and up and down too. Problem solved.👍

Comment

I try to keep it in the center of the grate, 2-3" away from the meat when possible, such as if I'm doing wings or something. If I'm doing a brisket which makes the center impossible, I'll just go whatever makes the most sense. Scoot the brisket toward the edge, put the probe between the meat and the wall, but halfway back centerwise, if possible. I don't like to get too close to the coals or water reservoir, I'd rather be near the kettle wall.

Comment

I usually put it on the outside of the meat, nearer to the wall of the kettle. With both the SNS and the DNG inside of my 22", the outside edge of the meat always seems to cook a little faster than the inside. Tells me that's where I'll find the highest temperature, and the meat will actually be cooking at a little less than what the thermometer reads. But, maybe that's just my kettle.

Best regards,
        JIm

Comment

Originally posted by Breadhead View Post
          Do this... wad up 3 feet of aluminum foil into a tightly packed ball. Insert your Pit probe through the aluminum ball at an angle where the tip slants upward. Place the aluminum ball on top of your meat dead center between your SnS and the outside wall of your cooker. The meat closes to the SnS will cook a little hotter so half way through the cook rotate your racks left to right and up and down too. Problem solved.👍
          I'm guessing the foil still allows for a correct reading after it is heated up? And lay it on the food? So basically just the tip of the probe is exposed past the end of the foil?

Comment

I tried it this last week end. It worked well.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here