Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs the membrane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must remove the membrane in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by HorseDoctor View Post
      I'm also suspicious that some folks spend a lot of time trying to remove "the membrane" when it has already been done by the processor/butcher...
      I saw a youtube video a while back where a guy did a "How-To" video with a rack of Duroc ribs. He proceeds to show how to remove the membrane, oblivious that the Duroc rack already had the membrane removed. He tries and tries, ends up hacking off some of the meat on the underside before proclaiming it a success. I got a good laugh out of that!

Comment

The local BBQ joint I went to (and still do) when I was a kid never removed the membrane. Sometimes I would peel it off sometimes not. So this is how I thought all ribs were made. It never really occurred to me to remove the membrane. Once I found AR I started removing them, not because I really notice a difference in flavor, moisture or anything else, I just know people expect it. So I remove the membrane.

Comment

Originally posted by JCGrill View Post
          So let me ask. If my ribs have that strip of meat across the back, then it's a safe assumption that the butcher hasn't removed the membrane, right? I really struggle with it and so I usually try for a couple of minutes and then give up and move on. I honestly don't know if it makes a difference or not, I've always been pretty happy with my ribs.
          Probably.

Comment

It's connective tissue. allowed to cook, it makes gelatin.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
              HorseDoctor commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, connective tissue can gelatinize when cooked in moisture such as when inside the cut of meat, but when on the surface it tends to dry and get tough. It may cook to the point that it is "crunchy" but may also be a barrier to salt, seasonings and smoke.

I left it on by mistake a few months ago. My daughter had raved about my ribs to her boyfriend. (They were tough.) So I made up for it that past weekend

Comment

HorseDoctor Isn't the membrane between the ribs and the diaphragm strip of meat? I don't understand how they could not be related. I could remove part of the membrane without removing the strip. Or have I got this all wrong?

Comment

Ok, yes the membrane (parietal pleura) is continuous with the membrane over the inside of the ribs and the lung side of the diaphragm meat. However it is possible to strip it off the ribs and still leave the strip of diaphragm meat behind. The presence or absence of one does not necessarily depend on the other.

Comment

I always trim before cooking, remove membrane after cooking, just before slicing the ribs

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
                    BriggsBBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I might try that next rack. Never tried removing before slicing. Do you have a special technique? or is it like doing it before the cook just grab a section and rip off hoping it all goes together like peeling off a sticker.

• Ernest
                    Ernest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No special technique, a little delicate but I prefer cooking with membrane on.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here