Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pellet smoker and tough skin on a smoked bird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pellet smoker and tough skin on a smoked bird

I've had my pellet smoker for about a year now and love it. I also have a Masterbuilt 40' which I continue to use. When I smoke a chicken in my pellet smoker the skin turns out very tough, like leather, as if it has been dehydrated. This does not occur in the masterbuilt. Does anyone have any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

What temp is your pit when you cook the chicken? Also, what are you putting on the skin before cooking it (oil, butter, herbs etc.)?

Comment

I smoke the bird for about an hour (IT to 160 and let it sit for 1/2 hour) at 225 and i usually put a dry rub with salt and various spices on it the evening before.

Comment

First, I'd shoot that mallard drake in your profile pic.

Second, I wouldn't smoke poultry under 350.

Comment

:-) Season's not far away! Really? 350? that seems really hot for smoking. I checked out both traeger and char-grills sites for their recipes, just now. both recommend 225 degrees.
          Last edited by Kwack; July 24, 2017, 01:29 PM.

Comment

I start my chicken at 225 with my RecTec pellet smoker for about 30-45 mins to get some good smoke on them then I will crank it up to 350. Chicken turns out great.

Welcome to the Pit Kwack

Comment

• vandy
              vandy commented
              Editing a comment
              Same here with my pellet grills DW, always turn out great. I don't eat the skin but my wife does and she loves that crispy skin that I get doing it that way.

Thanks! Do you put oil or butter on the bird in addition to whatever rub? I'm thinking not doing that is what's drying out and toughening up the skin for me.

Comment

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              I used no oil just dry brine and let it sit in fridge uncover overnight or longer.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I do what DWCowles does, except that I do put oil between the skin and meat. Since we're in the "Q Lab", best thing to do is try out both.

• vandy
              vandy commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't dry brine or put oil on mine and always get a good skin. I occasionally put some seasoning on the skin and under the skin but that is about it. Most of the chicken you buy has been brined already so I don't want to over salt.

Go back and check the recipes. Do they say they give you crisp skin?

I let my kettle go as hot as it will go for chicken - sometimes over 400*. Crisp skin every time.

Comment

I'll keep experimenting. I don't think I'm really explaining the problem very well. I always take the (spatchcocked) chicken out of the smoker after an hour and put it on the grill to finish it and crisp up the skin. My problem is not about crisping the skin. the problem is that the skin gets very tough; it's like chewing on cloth. I don't understand what's going on with it, but I wonder if the convection oven like fan in the pellet grill is dehydrating the skin, toughing it up. that's why I wonder if oil or butter on the bird would protect it from that.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Just to counter that suspicion, this may help. My KBQ also has a convection effect inside the cookbox. I cook chicken at about 325 for a bit over an hour. The skin is not tough. So I'd look along the path of low temp/ long time as the perpetrator?

Ok, I understand your issue. I agree with others that you should cook chicken at higher temp (I go at 325). You can try making a rub/paste by adding oil to your herbs and spice, and rub that on and under your skin. Another question, where are you sourcing your chicken? Let me know.

Comment

I'll say it again, "Set that pellet pooper at 350 and let that chicken roll."

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  KISS , eh? ;-)

OK. Thanks everyone. Here's the plan for the next chicken: 1) spatchcock the bird. 2) oil the bird and apply rub. 3) smoke in GMG at 325 degrees until IT gets to about 160 degrees. 4) Place bird, skin side down, on grill long enough to crisp up the skin. 5) let it rest 20 min or so. I'll report back. I really appreciate all the advice.
                Last edited by Kwack; July 28, 2017, 12:56 PM. Reason: Edit to answer dshaffes: I get my chickens usually at farmers markets in Charleston SC or if cooking when a market isn't open, whole foods or where ever I can get a fresh, organic chicken.

Comment

​​​​Some folks mix baking powder into their rub to help dry out the skin and even place the bird in the fridge uncovered overnight to further dry it out.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That works too. The Chinese do that for crackling skin on a lot of things (like pork belly for instance - yum).

Of course if you really don't want chewy skin on poultry and want to cook it low and slow just take it off. I very seldom cook poultry with skin on and haven't for many years, long before it was done to reduce fat. I like to season and flavor the meat not the skin. Heres a turkey breast I did last weekend. Smoked @ 225 moist and super tasty, the turkey not the skin. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170722_162031.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	353579

Comment

Kwack since you have a GMG, do have a smoking tube? I doubt you will get much smoke flavor at 325, so the tube is an option if you want more smoke flavor.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here