Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rub Texture Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rub Texture Question

Hello All,

I read on another site the opinion that a rub with a more granular texture is better for bark formation than one with a finer texture. Has anyone found this to be true? The reason I ask is that my bark is ok, but there is room for improvement. The rub I make, I grind it until it has the consistency of talcum powder. My reasoning behind it is I thought the finer the particles, the more surface area exposed to "the elements" and the better chance for great bark. But since my bark is just ok, have I been setting myself up for failure by making my rub so fine?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insights!

Wow. As I think, not thorough science... I would think the rougher (larger) granular shape would allow for better bark as there is more to adhere too and more protein surface space. The fine grain would be more like a "surface candy" or even coat. When I think bark, I think of all the roughians adhearing to the meat rather than the powder adding a protective coating to the meat.

Typically the granular comes from larger sugar crystals which which are hydroscopic and grab water which holds smoke. Something like that gives bark.

honestly I just attempted that from memory without verifying. Please feel free to chime in, all.
    Last edited by HouseHomey; July 23, 2017, 04:35 AM. Reason: Hydrophilic????

Comment

What my (back of) house homie HouseHomey said As in many things, it depends on your taste.

Finer, powder-like rubs should stick better to your slather/meat and almost form paste, turn into a more even bark and they should dry to a thinner, crisp layer. When you grind them they do have a larger surface area, but since they "melt" into the meat my guess is that there would be fewer nooks and crannies for the smoke to penetrate.

Coarser rubs with visible crystals (usually sugar) won't melt onto the exterior of the meat and will stay crunchy throughout the cook, so your bark will be "louder", more pronounced and less even, which to me are all pluses. Also, the craggier surface should mean better smoke adhesion, but I'm happy to defer to more knowledgeable folks on that.

Personally I'm a fan of less uniform things. I like when my food has dynamic, changing flavours that take turns to reveal themselves, and linger for different times. Variable consistencies and particle sizes help with that: fine powders melt immediately, while larger crystals need to be chewed to be appreciated. Think of the way a flake of salt makes everything pop for a few seconds. Plus, loud crunching noise makes food more fun!

My favourite example is (unsurprisingly, since I work in pastry) ice cream. Imagine a bowl with two identical scoops of delicious plain gelato that's vanilla, chocolate, caramel and pecan flavour. Sounds all right? Now imagine a sundae with a scoop of vanilla, one of chocolate, crunchy toasted pecans, caramel sauce and some whipped cream. Same ingredients, different distribution. Which one would you rather have?

Now, I won't go as far as to suggest you sift your rubs with a fine-mesh sieve, apply the fine bits, then spritz with your favourite liquid and dust with the coarser bits... Or maybe I will

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang!! That sounds delicious..

• PBCDad
        PBCDad commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, aren't you two the same person?

I think it's far more likely to be something other than the granularity of your rub. What equipment do you use? How hot do you have it where the meat is located?

Comment

I believe it's more coarse more surface area = less laminar/more turbulent flow of smoke and gases over it, more smoke adherence and likely a more robust bark... but like JCGrill I believe there's other things that will make a bigger difference.

Comment

I'm with the others on this one. I can't prove anything, I just 'feel' a rougher surface is better. Don't overdo it by grinding your rubs into too fine a powder.

Comment

Thank you to all for your insights. I have a WSM 22.5 and have recently started running w/ a dry water pan...assuming less humidity in the smoker would help bark formation. (It helped.) I typically average a temp in the low 230s when I'm cooking and run meat on both racks. I have about one more cooks worth of my finely ground rub. When I make another batch, I won't grind it.fine & see how that works and report back.

Comment

• CandySueQ
              CandySueQ commented
              Editing a comment
              A good test would be to do your regular rub, rub something to cook, 2 pieces. Sprinkle one piece with turbinado sugar crystals. Cook them both and check the results.

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, a side by side comparison cook is in place here. Would give you immediate insights.

What's in the rub?

Comment

I think PaulstheRibList can help with this as well. He is always in search of that perfect bark.

I find when i use a rub that has larger granules will results in a thicker bark. I still need to do a side by side comparison.

Comment

So...funny thing. I just made some loin back ribs w/the finely ground rub, but happened to sprinkle some turbinado sugar on them and was much happier w/the results! (Thanks CandySueQ for the suggestion!) The ribs actually looked like pics I've seen posted here. (I apologize for not posting pics myself, but I still live in the dark ages and own a flip phone.) I have enough finely ground rub for one more cook. I'll go ahead and make another batch w/o grinding and do a side by side of each and will report the results (and figure out how to post a pic by then). Thank you to all for the discussion!

Comment

I find I like the appearance of the bark when the rub has at least some larger granuals. Several of the rubs from Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous, aka the West Coast Offence, have larger granuals as a part of the mix, and I really like them!

Some other rubs have a mix of the fine powder and larger granuals. I think Oak Ridge Black Opps has that, a fine ground powder and some larger granuals.

I don't think I've ever used a rub with just fine ground, so I don't have a comparison.

And, as Spinaker noted, the #SideBySide comparison is the only way to go to find out the best data.

And you get to eat the results!

Comment

Bone Suckin' Sauce original rub is killer -- very chunky/granular rub with what I consider the perfect flavor profile for pork. Having said that, I think the very fine rubs also produce a great bark. Meatchurch makes one called Honey Hog that uses granulated honey and while it's not a coarse rub, the bark is top notch quality.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I love me some Honey Hog! Great stuff.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here