Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrapping Techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrapping Techniques

I have tried two wrapping techniques for finishing a cook with barbecue. One is to simply double wrap the meat in foil, put the wrapped meat in a foil pan, and put it back in the smoker. The other is to put the unwrapped meat in a foil pan, cover the pan with foil, and put this back in the smoker. I think that double wrapping a brisket results in juicier meat than putting it unwrapped in a covered foil pan. However, what about with spare or baby back ribs? While with thick cuts like pork butt and brisket, your leave in meat temperature probe will tell you when it is done, with ribs, you have to unwrap them, potentially spilling juices, and give them the bend test. Its much easier to simply remove the cover from a foil pan to check them than to unwrap the ribs. But which technique makes the best ribs? Of course you don't need to wrap them at all.

Anyone care to offer their opinion or experiences with this?

I only wrap brisket and chuckies. I double wrap them in foil. All others don't get wrapped incluing ribs.

Comment

The only time I put ribs in foil is when they are done early. When the ribs are done early, I place a wire rack on the bottom of a foil pan. This helps to keep the ribs from braising in the liquid. I think this helps to persevere bark, rub and texture. After I place the ribs on the wire rack, in the foil pan, I cover the top with foil. This creates a small warming oven for the ribs. However, since they are elevated in the pan, they are not being braised. Best of both worlds.

Comment

Because my family likes things more on the moist side I tend to use the foil pan for my wraps. I'll add a little something like apple juice or beef broth or...... depending what I'm cooking when its time to wrap.

Comment

I never wrap anything during the cook. I wrap after the cook to put Briskets, pork butts or chuckies in the Cambro. I've never wrapped ribs until they are going into the fridge as leftovers. I do everything to protect the bark.

Comment

If I had the room I would crutch every brisket and pork shoulder in a foil pan. Most briskets get crutched, just depends on the bark and the quality of brisket and other factors such as humidity that I don't measure.

Comment

I've never wrapped ribs. I love a heavy rub, which produces a thick bark. Wrapping or panning really undoes that bark, and it will slide off with a slight touch. When I've had fun with ribs and just done a Salt and Pepper rub, the extra moisture from a panning is not a problem.

Actually, I've never wrapped anything but briskets. Now I only wrap them in 24 inch butcher paper. Works great. I'm experimenting with panning them in some stages.

Comment

I wrap brisket not shoulder or ribs. When I get a butcher paper dispenser I'll try it with that!

Comment

Don't flog me. I wrap the ribs after 3 hours and then unwrap to finish. It is kind of a version of the 3-2-1 method. However, it is 3-1-2 for me and my son, 3-2-1 for my wife and daughter. They cook at 220. For awhile, when I was cooking for large groups, I used very large foil pans instead of wrapping the ribs individually. Interestingly, I repeatedly got the result that PaulstheRibList talked about (bark falling off) with the pan method. So for large groups I now decide whether I have the time to wrap or not. I spritz the ribs a lot more if I decide not to wrap. You also have to take into consideration your cooking apparatus. If you can, try two racks side by side with different methods and see what it is that you fancy.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulstheRibList View Post
                    I've never wrapped ribs. I love a heavy rub, which produces a thick bark. Wrapping or panning really undoes that bark, and it will slide off with a slight touch. When I've had fun with ribs and just done a Salt and Pepper rub, the extra moisture from a panning is not a problem.

Actually, I've never wrapped anything but briskets. Now I only wrap them in 24 inch butcher paper. Works great. I'm experimenting with panning them in some stages.
                    Paul, I am curious, on #TheRIBLIST, how do you hold your ribs while serving the public at events? Are you simply taking them off the smoker and serving immediately? Or do they go into a Cambro of some kind? How do you keep them moist but preserve that bark we are all looking to protect? I do as I described above but, I would love to hear from someone in the biz.

Thanks Brother!

Comment

• dtassinari
                      dtassinari commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I second this question!

Great Question, my beloved Spinaker.

Here's the rundown on How I practice #BarkManagement on Pork SpareRibs:

1.) We apply a generous portion of rub. #VeryGenerous #DidIMentionWeLikeTheRubThick

2.) I never move the ribs once they are on. Moving and flipping and all of that just means you will not have all that rub on at the end that you started with.

3.) We bring in the Tech to hold the barbecue: the Winston CVAP humidity controlled warming cabinet. It's excellent! For holding big meats for longer periods of time, we dial up the humidity, with the goal that the moisture level inside the meat and inside the cabinet are about the same, so no moisture leaves the meat. Works GREAT - you can hold big meats a long time and with no discernable change.

4.) For Pork Ribs, I want to have them finish about an hour before we are planning to serve, not before. Shorter holds are better. But, I do want to leave time to get all the other details finished up and not overcook any of these beautiful ribs.

5.) I've tried various ways to stack ribs in a foil pan and not rub off the rub. It's difficult. I'm super careful, and can pick them up and not disturb the bark much. I find my other team mates at theRibShack are not as good/careful as me, and we will have bald spots. I try not to look really upset when I see that.Not sure if my attempts to conceal frustration are working.

6.) So, my current method is to:

a.) put 2 racks of ribs in the bottom of the foil pan
                    b.) Put a lid loosely on the pan, and put 2 more racks on that loose lid. This way, none of the racks is touching the others except for on the edges.
                    c.) dial back the humidity in the CVAP so it is a little dryer, and does not re-humidify the gorgeous bark aka #MrsBrown
                    d.) keep training the crew to cut ribs right side up. When you pull them right off the pit, you can flip them over and cut looking at the underside and the bark will normally be ok. When they have been held and the bark gets softer, it just doesn't work...the bark comes off in big patches. #NotRibListApproved

So, We are working this method for the past month, and it's doing ok.

May your bark be dark and heavy, and your ribs #TugOffTheBone
                    Last edited by PaulstheRibList; July 23, 2017, 06:37 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks much for the great explanation. True culinary artist right here folks. #GetOnTheRibList!! Thanks again Paul. I love it that your killing the pro BBQ game!

• Spinaker
                      Spinaker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      And I was just looking at those Winston CVAP humidity controlled warming cabinets, those suckers are siiiiiiick

• PaulstheRibList
                      PaulstheRibList commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Spinaker, thanks, bro! I bought a used CVAP on EBAY in late 2015, and started experimenting with it from time to time. Doesn't every club member need a humidity controlled holding cabinet in their garage? #PowerCambro #MCSsquared

PaulstheRibList
                    Regarding your statement above at point number 3.)...
                    I have been looking at CVAP as well as others for over a month now.
                    (Hawking eBay and even made an offer for one. Watching Phoenix Craigslist too)
                    -
                    Called Winston in Kentucky last week, and spoke with a fine representative there.
                    After some great advice and an informative conversation, she transferred my call to an authorized Winston dealer here.
                    I have an appointment to talk with a CVAP salesman here in Phoenix this coming Monday.
                    Am wanting a CVAP or similar type cabinet to hold several smoked briskets for up to 12 hours without drying them out and without ruining the bark.
                    She warned me to be careful regarding used units as many restaurants do not take good care of their units. (Especially those without a maintenance agreement)
                    -
                    Also mentioned if I decide go with a used unit, to get one that is less than 10 years old and to call her with the serial number to verify the date of manufacture.
                    (I know the date is right there stamped on the tag, so that part did not make sense)
                    Lastly, she explained that units older than 10 years are no longer supported as far as them stocking non-common parts.
                    (She was referring to parts that are not the same as the ones used in newer models)
                    The statement was that unique, older model parts were not available through Winston because their policy is to only keep and stock parts for 2007 models and newer.
                    (I've NO idea what they do with the older parts on their 11th "birthday")
                    -
                    Anyway...
                    What model is yours please sir?
                    -
                    Smoke On!
                    Last edited by BBQ_Bill; August 5, 2017, 06:17 PM. Reason: Re-worded a bit for clarity

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
                      BBQ_Bill commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you most kindly PaulstheRibList much appreciated sir.

• BBQ_Bill
                      BBQ_Bill commented
                      Editing a comment
                      ComfortablyNumb yeah, I figure that the lady @ Winston was just trying to keep sales there at her location.
                      Older units generally mean the aging results in more problems for them, so dumping older parts to "New Old Stock" dealers is an option.

• BBQ_Bill
                      BBQ_Bill commented
                      Editing a comment
                      PaulstheRibList I was back and forth between a CVAP and a Metro.
                      Finally decided on the Metro C599-NDC-U C5 9 Series.
                      Probably never need this much moisture, but I like the 90% RH at 160°F feature.

I wrap my ribs. I've done a few side-by-side test cooks and each time the wrapped ribs come out far more tender and are always preferred by myself as well as the others who are eating.

As for method: I wrap with heavy duty (grill) foil twice, leaving no room for air or anything. A tight, solid wrap (but not so tight it punctures the foil). When I unwrap, I pour the juices into a pot, add a slurry (corn starch and water) to thicken then add some maple syrup to sweeten the smokey juices and brush the racks with this to finish them off. Nice glistening/sticky glaze, great presentation and flavor.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here