Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A grill vs a griddle when meat is already smoked...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A grill vs a griddle when meat is already smoked...

I've been doing a lot of mixing sous vide and my kettle lately and I really, really enjoy the combination—especially when dealing with meats like sausages, burgers, and even poultry that would normally require being cooked to a higher temp. My general cook looks like this:

1. Sous-vide to desired temperature (this usually is only an hour or two in the bath since I'm not working with tough meats yet).
    2. Remove, dry, cool. (I don't necessarily cool it a lot, just enough that I can pop it in the kettle and get 30 - 60 minutes of smoke in somewhere between 225 and 350 depending on the time needed and the meat I'm using.)
    3. Smoke for 30 - 60 minutes on the indirect side of the grill.
    4. Remove, pat dry, (salt now if I'm dealing with ground meat), spice, and sometimes oil (like butter on burgers).
    5. Sear.

I'm using three different cooking techniques to do three different things.

The sous vide gets me safe meat that's cooked as far as it needs to be. It's generally very juicy.
    The short smoking gets me... smoke. (I've found that I lose very little moisture here in terms of drippings or evaporation here.)
    The sear gets me a crust.

This combination works really well for certain things. It's king for burgers. It's also excellent for poultry—especially breasts. I think it'd be extra work with no real gain on steaks, but I haven't really tried.

Anyway, this is a lot of almost unnecessary lead up to the original point of this post. I recently got the Slow'N Sear griddle/drip pan. I love that thing. I can't say enough nice about it.

Recently I've been doing my browning on the griddle rather than over the grill. While the temperature isn't as high (you're not supposed to go warp 10 since it can warp) you're getting better heat transfer overall from conduction rather than convection. My question really boils down to this:

What do I actually get using the grill over the griddle? The "cold grill" method—which for the record, is awesome—specifically avoids overdoing conduction on the grill in order to make sure browning is even. Seems like the griddle is the opposite approach with the same goal: even browning through even conduction. The max temperature isn't as high but the transfer method is more efficient.

Obviously, I get smoke aspect. This is why even someone who grills the occasional dry burger at a summer cookout still likes it. However, how much extra smoke flavor am I really picking up if my burgers have been smoking for 30-40 minutes already? Other than smoke (and having to fight flames), is there a good reason to go grill over griddle (even if it sounds a little heretical)? I have made some very, very fine steaks sous-vide + cast iron skillet. I wonder if a low'n slow/smoke in the kettle steak finished on cast iron would be hugely different tasting than the the cold grill method. After all, the primary goal of the sear portion is crust and browning.

I would have never even considered this if not for the comments in Meathead about how most of the best burgers were done over a griddle rather than an open flame.

So, in short, if I've already got smoke, what does grilling actually do for me that a griddle doesn't? Is there more happening than just browning on the sear step that I should care about if the meat has already soaked up smoke?

I want bark/crust, so whichever way offers me the easiest route, I go with that.

Comment

I guess there's a lot of folks who use the flat side of the grill grates for burgers -- similar to the griddle without the oil/grease buildup since the small holes will let the grease drip down into the fire -- same idea as to maximize conduction.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2231.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	346917

Comment

I got lost in there a little. As far as griddles grate. The cold grate is mimicking the griddle by avoiding just a Sear (maillard) on the grate portion and searing the whole thing. The griddle is far less work as you prop n flip. If you already have the griddle out then just use it rather than dirtying another dish. If you need the fire power of cast iron on the stoves warp speed then use that.

Also the pan/griddle finishes bringing the protein up to temp just like the cold grate Sear. This is why we pull to Sear from a lower temp.

The whole idea is to enduce the Maillard reaction and crust that sucker like Jerod said. Breadhead has great photos of a warp Sear like the one above. Huskee has a great photo of the flame and grill skill on a burger.

As far as the smoke I'm not really sure what you would lose if anything.

The one thing I know for sure is i somethimes decide on the family dinner not by what sounds good or what I can best cook but by which has the fewest dishes.

I would just just use the griddle and Sear longer from a lower temp. But that's just me.

Comment

I'm seriously considering GrillGrates of some sort as my next upgrade. I didn't much care about them initially since grill lines really don't excite me. The flat side, however... has me rethinking my excitement levels.

Comment

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
            I got lost in there a little. As far as griddles grate. The cold grate is mimicking the griddle by avoiding just a Sear (maillard) on the grate portion and searing the whole thing. The griddle is far less work as you prop n flip. If you already have the griddle out then just use it rather than dirtying another dish. If you need the fire power of cast iron on the stoves warp speed then use that.

I would just just use the griddle and Sear longer from a lower temp. But that's just me.
            Right, that was my point on the cold grate method vs the griddle. They have the same goal but handle it differently. (At least that was my conclusion.) You want an even sear. The griddle, to me, seems easier than the cold grate. I don't need to turn the grate (which isn't a big deal, but it's still a thing), I can use less fuel since the temperature can be lower, I don't need to deal with flare ups, and heat distribution is going to be more even in most cases. It can be a "wetter" method since the juices don't fall to the flames, but if you're using butter for browning then than's an advantage.

On a short cook where the meat hasn't tasted any smoke, grilling makes total sense to get some smoke and sear in one step. But if smoke has been handled, am I don't think I'm getting anything out of grilling over an open flame.

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
            The one thing I know for sure is i somethimes decide on the family dinner not by what sounds good or what I can best cook but by which has the fewest dishes.
            I feel like this should be a proverb. Ha.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Proverb. Nice!!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here